Required Reading

I'm dreaming. I have to be. I'm in a basement and it's pitch black. I'm as blind as if my eyes had been gouged. A cold chill runs down my spine at that thought. I bring my fingers to my eye sockets and discover they are still there. Good sing. Hopefully, I can find some more. But that goes right out the window when I hear a voice in my head. 'They all must die. Choose who lives and the rest will die.'

A light cuts on and shows five people behind a glass. They are all bruised and bleeding while blindfolded and bound in chairs. I start to recognize them as my mom, my dad, Scott, Liam, Malia, Lydia, and Stiles. I bang against the glass and try to scream but nothing comes. 'Choose.'

I shake my head mutely. I had to have been here for an hour top, or this was some nightmare. I take deep breaths. It isn't real, how could it be? 'Choose.' I shake my head. 'Why refuse us?'

The Dread Doctors appear behind the five of them. 'This is a dream! You're not real! Not in here!'

'Do you think you could have so many abilities by a miracle? Why don't you think back to that night you were bitten? What really happened? Blocked it out, have we? I would too. Let's stop all the stalling and get on with the game. Choose which one lives and the rest will die.'

This is me facing my worst fear: making a difficult choice. I am never good at making the right decision and now I am being forced to.

I snap awake in the hospital waiting room. I took the day off from school to have an update with the hospital. I plan on going away for about a week, just to get myself together. I already told the school ahead of time and I already know where I'm going. A friend of mine from San Francisco committed suicide and his parents want me to be there since it seems like I was his only friend.

His name was Philip and he was that one shy kid you see always sitting by themselves. He barely spoke to anyone except me. He was in almost all my classes and we became really good friends. Hearing about him committing suicide really made me depressed. I never saw him as someone to end his life but not everything is as it appears to be anymore. I rub my eyes and stand up. My mom looks at me for a second with worry. "Come on, they'll see you now."

I walk behind her and into a room. It's like a normal hospital room. Waiting is a doctor on a computer. From where I stand, I can see my school picture and my information on the screen. I can already tell how this is going to go. Since I'm going away for about a week, they're going to give me a new dose of my anti-psychotics and my depression medication because of my recent losses.

I don't need either of them but I just go with the flow. I climb up in the bed and wait. The doctor types for a bit then pulls out a clipboard and turn toward me. My mom pulls up a chair on the other side of me. "How are you today, Scarlett?" the doctor asks with a smile.

I look at his name tag. His last name is William. I bring my knee up to my chin and my other one to the side. "I'm okay, I guess."

"Well, you know you're here for an update on everything going on from your IED to other things going on mentally."

"Let me guess, you're going to put me back on my anti-psychotics."

He sighs with a nod. "Yes, just temporarily. I also want to talk about something you mentioned a couple months ago. A...voice in your head."

I start chewing on my bottom lip. "I, um..."

"Don't worry. I'm not talking about going back to Eichen House because of insanity. Sometimes that and the lack of sleep can be caused by what we call frontotemporal dementia. It-"

"I know what it is." I feel tears swelling in my eyes by the memory of that name. "I, um, had a friend that was tested for it about a year back."

"Well, you know we're going to preform an MRI to see if you really have this and, if you do, we'll go on to discuss further treatments."