Muted

"Hey, what's on your mind?" Scott asks.

I look up from my textbook. "I don't know, I just....feel different since last night."

He slides next to me and brushes my hair away from my eye. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, I'm rethinking my whole relationship with Derek. It's starting to feel so wrong and I need to stop before I dig a hole I can't jump out of."

"End it."

"What?"

"End it, Scar. I want you to be safe and you're not safe with him. You've been targeted only because you're close to him."

I take out my phone and he nods. I dial his number and put it to my ear. He picks up on the first ring. "Scarlett? What's up?"

"Derek, we're done. I can't be with you anymore. I'm a junior in high school. I need to focus on more than you. Goodbye, Derek." I hang up before he can answer. I just laugh. Scott is more confused than ever. "What's so funny?"

"I can't believe I just did that. I don't have to worry my whole day about if he's okay or not. I don't have to look over my shoulder anymore, scared of what could get me. I can actually be me without skipping school to see him. I feel like I can start this new school year off right."

He smiles. "Come on, we have school."

I change into a black pleated skirt, white V-neck and a black sweater. I curl up my hair and leave it down my back. I look into the mirror to make sure my hair looks okay. I make my eyes glow and sigh. I see Scott in the mirror. "Are you okay?"

"Huh? Yeah, I'm okay. Let's go."

At school, I follow Scott and Stiles onto the lacrosse field. Scott is worried that someone will replace him as team captain. "You got your grades up, like Coach told you to, right?" Stiles says.

"Yeah, but he never told me I was back on the team. He just told me to show up for tryouts today."

"Well, we have bigger things to worry about," I say.

"Did you tell Argent yet?" Stiles asks.

"I texted him but he didn't get back to me."

I stop walking and look at my brother. "You told him that his psychopath sister, Kate, is back from the dead over a text?"

"Didn't have the money to call France."

I look over at the field and see a really cute boy playing goalie. "What the hell are we doing here?" Stiles asks. "We have over one hundred seventeen million problems and worrying about our status on the lacrosse team isn't one of them."

I bite my lip and gesture to the boy. "It is now."

"Who the hell is that?"

I shrug. When he removes his helmet, I get to see all his features. He has cute brown hair and blue eyes. I hear him having the chance of being the first freshman captain. He glances toward me and stops walking. We exchange looks for over a minute.  After practice, coach calls me into his office. "Look, I know you're McCall's little sister..."

I clear my throat. "Twin."

"Whatever. But we have an upcoming game with Devenford Prep. They are an excellent school. I mean profoundly amazing. Which is why I need yo-"

"You need me to go to the school as an innocent girl, when I have very bad intentions to learn their game plan so you can 'one up' them."

He is shocked. "I couldn't have said it better."