The Benefactor

After I get home from the hospital, I go past Scott and Stiles then into the bathroom. I stare in the mirror and try to keep calm. Biting an innocent means problems I'm not ready for. It means seeing Areya again. It means I am no longer responsible for just me and my brother. I strip off my shirt and turn to run the shower. When I open the shower curtain, there's Liam. He's duct taped from head to toe. I put my arms over my chest. "Liam? What the hell?" I read his face and huff. "Scott! Stiles!"

I throw on a tank top and help him out to my room. "What the hell is wrong with you, Scott? You kidnapped him?" I place Liam on my bed. I kneel down and take the tape off his mouth. "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to bite you."

I see his hand still bleeding. Why can't I smell it? I take a deep breath but I smell nothing. "Let me go," he says through his teeth, looking at Scott.

"We need to explain things first. What I did will...change you."

"Or you might die," Stiles says.

"Stiles!"

Liam starts to sob. I look at Stiles and growl. I tear off the tape and sit next to him. "Liam, it's gonna be okay. I promise. You won't die."

"He might,"

"Dammit, Stiles."

"Stop it," Scott commands.

Liam stands to his feet and slowly turns to me. "I'm sorry."

I stand slowly. "For what...?" He slowly grips a chair and hits Scott with it. He swings a fist at Stiles. He goes to hit me but I stand my ground. He stops. "I know you won't hurt me. Liam, let us help you."

He runs out. Stiles and Scott get to their feet and go after them. They tackle him and the three fall down the stairs. I go to help but Liam finds a way to slip out. I watch him run, not looking back. "What the hell, Scarlett? You had him!" Scott exclaims.

"Well, I wasn't going to back you up for kidnapping a new freshman and putting him in our bathroom. You could've talked to him without all that."

"Since when did you agree with doing things the nice way?" Stiles asks.

I storm off into the kitchen. I get a glass of water to calm my nerves. I drum my fingers to keep my mind together. "Scarlett, tell me what's wrong with you," Scott say. "You have not been the same since we came back from Mexico. Is it because of Araya? You know we can help you."

"Yeah, lately you've been kind of a bitch," Stiles says, trying to joke.

I take in a huge gulp of water and spit it in his face. "Help me? Like you helped Liam? I'm fine Scott." Stiles just wipes his face with his shirt. They don't stop looking at me until I become so frustrated I just punch the wall, leaving behind a dent. "Dammit, Scott. I don't know what to do. I don't know what's happening to me."

"What are you talking about?"

I make my eyes glow. "I thought it was just my eyes or from my past. But, I couldn't smell Liam's blood, even up close. Now that I think about it, I'm not just losing my eye color."

"You're losing your strength."

Late that night, Scott and Stiles wait for me to come out the bathroom. "What do you know about wendigos?" Stiles asks.

I let out my damp hair and grab my brush. "What makes you think I know anything about them?"

"Because you're smart and the greatest person ever and-"

"Flattery doesn't work on me, Stiles." I sit on my bed and push back against the wall. "Sean was more like us than you think he was. Wendigos are half-beast creatures, appearing in the legends of the Algonquian peoples along the Atlantic Coast and Great Lakes Region of both the United States and Canada. It could either possess characteristics of a human or a monster that had physically transformed from a person. It is particularly associated with cannibalism."