Restraint

Sheriff Stilinski reads out the details of the restraining order Jackson secures against Scott and Stiles. They are to stay 50 feet away from him at all times. They cannot speak to him or assault or harass him physically or psychologically. "Wait, what if I have to go to the bathroom, and we coincidentally have to go at the same time and the only stall left is next to him?" Stiles asks.

Me and Scott snicker. Our mom smacks us both on the back of our heads. When Sheriff Stilinski gives his son a look, Stiles slouches down in his chair. "Or, I'll just hold it."

"This is so stupid," I say. "Just because Jackson is rich, doesn't mean he can just put a restraining order on whoever he wants."

"Scarlett, I don't know why you're upset. You're not apart of this," Jackson's lawyer says. "Jackson said you were pressured into doing this."

I look at Scott and Stiles then at Jackson. "What...? I..."

"We're done here," the sheriff cuts me off.

Our mom is extremely upset when we get into the hallway. "It's not just this. Although a restraining order is a new low that I didn't think that you two would reach quite this soon. It's everything on top of it. The completely bizarre behavior, the late nights coming home, having to beg Mr. Harris for you two to make up that chemistry test that you missed."

"We missed a chemistry test?"

"Really, Scott? Really? I have to ground you. I have to ground you both."

"What about work?" Scott asks.

"Okay, no TV."

"Our TV is broken," I say.

"Fine. No computer."

"We need our computers for school," me and Scott both say.

"Fine, then no..."

She turns around and looks at Stiles, who was standing in the doorway. "No Stiles."

"What?" I exclaim.

"No Stiles?" Stiles asks.

"NO STILES!"

"Mom, it's about time we explain ourselves," Scott starts.

Stiles mouths 'no', knowing what was coming up. "Is this about your father?" she asks.

I sigh and shake my head. "I... I'm dating Stiles."

Stiles and Scott almost fall over. I have to come up with some kind of lie instead of talking about our father. My mother glances back to Stiles and asks, "For how long?"

"Uh...a couple months now?"

She just sighs and puts a hand on our shoulders. "We'll talk more when we get home."

At the library in school, we have to talk to Allison through a bookshelf. She passes us a tablet of the translated text about the kanima. "Like the wolf, its power is greatest at the moon's peak. Like the wolf, the kanima is a social creature but where the wolf seeks a pack the kanima seeks a master," I read out loud, but in a whisper.

"The kanima, a weapon of vengeance, is used to carry out the bidding of its master. The kanima was once used by a South American priest who took it upon himself to rid his village of all murderers. The bond between master and servant grew stronger until the will of the master became that of the kanima's and whomever the priest deemed unworthy, the kanima served his vengeance," Scott continues.

"The kanima is a mutation of the werewolf gene that cannot fully transform until it resolves that in its past which manifest it," I finish.

"Okay if that means that Jackson could use a few thousand hours of therapy, I could have told you that myself," Stiles retorts.