Illuminated

I sit next to Scott on a bench that also holds Stiles, Kira and Lydia. My father looks at us, leaning on the sheriff's desk. He is questioning us on how we came across Baro, an escaped mental patient. I glance at Sheriff Stilinski who is sitting behind his desk. "So, what time did you get there?"

"At the same time," Stiles replies.

"Same time as who?"

Stiles points to us. "Same time as me and Scarlett," Scott answers.

"Like a coincidence?"

"What do mean 'coincidence'?" I ask.

"That's what I'm asking you. You three arrive at the same time. Is that coincidence?"

"Are you asking me?" I ask.

"I think he's asking me," Stiles says.

"I think he's asking the three of you," Lydia also says.

"Okay, let me answer the questions." My father stops and I just purse my lips. I see the sheriff smile a bit. "Let me ask the questions."

Stiles winks his eye and points at my dad. "So, I have this absolutely clear. Baro was hiding in the chemistry room at the school. Someone left him a coded message, on the black board,  telling him to kill Kira. Then Baro took Kira to power substation with the intent of electrocuting her, which blacked out the entire town."

I nod. "Sounds just about right."

"How'd you know he'd take her to a power station?"

"Well, he's an electrical engineer," Stiles replies.

"Where else would he take her?" I add.

"That's one hell of a deduction, you two."

"Hey, what can I say? We take after our pops. They're in the law enforcement."

Me and Stiles fist bump while the sheriff laughs but, when my father looks back at him, he coughs. "Stiles, Scarlett, answer the man."

"We made a good guess."

My father looks to me. "It was a guess, really. I don't believe in coincidences, though."

My dad looks at Scott and to Kira. "What were the two of you doing?"

"Eating pizza," Scott says.

"Eating sushi," Kira says.

"Eating sushi," Scott rephrases.

"Eating pizza," Kira stumbles.

My father turns to the sheriff. "Do you believe this?"

"To be honest, I haven't believed a word Stiles and Scarlett have said since they learned to speak."

"Why me? I understand Stiles but why me?"

"Remember all those times we lied about going to the park when we actually went around digging around in the woods?" Stiles whispers.

"We use to be that weird as kids?"

Stiles just nods. We turn back to the sheriff and my dad. "But I think these kids found themselves at the right place at the right time. And that girl sitting there is lucky for it."

"Kira, is that how you remember?"

We all look at Kira. "Yes. Can I get my phone back now?"

"Sorry, but no." We all get up to leave. My father stops Kira. "Kira, deputy is gonna take you home but we need you to fill out some papers first."