Chapter Eighteen

Thank you so much for the 200+ reads, as well as the lovely comments and votes. It honestly means a lot! Please continue to read, comment, vote, and share! If you have advice or constructive criticism, by all means either comment or message me. I really appreciate the input! Enjoy the chapter!

*************************************************************************************************

Thea's P.O.V.

I blared my car horn outside Nicolai's grandmother's house.

I checked my watch. 7:50. Damn it, we're going to be late for school if he doesn't get his ass out right now. I ducked my head slightly, peering out the passenger window to see if he was coming.

I blared my horn again, probably waking up the whole neighborhood at this point.

"I'm coming, I'm coming! Just stop the freaking beeping!"

Nicolai came stumbling out the front door, still pulling on his sneaker and trying to hold his bag at the same time. He looked absolutely ridiculous with his overly ruffled hair and panicky expression.

I bit back a laugh as he slid into the passenger seat, disheveled and clearly stressed. Being late to school was so worth seeing Nicolai like this. It was hilarious to actually see him not calm and laid back as usual.

"Eventful morning," I teased, unable to hold back the smile that had been threatening to appear.

He glared daggers at me, while tying the shoelace of his black converse. "Shut up."

"Aye aye, captain," I mocked, driving off to school. I didn't bother to say anything anymore. He was clearly having a bad day and I didn't want to make it worse for him. He would talk if he felt like it.

"You look pretty today," Nicolai pointed out, briefly giving me a once-over. I gave him a "WTF" look. I was in a pair of black leggings again with a red V-neck t-shirt and my moccasins. My alarm clock didn't ring because I forgot to set an earlier time so I didn't have time to get ready before picking up Nicolai.

I snorted," Please, I do not look good today. I didn't have time to get ready and now I'm going to be cold because I forgot to grab a jacket on my way out. I look like a bum."

"You know most nice girls would accept the compliment and say 'thank you'." He quirked an eyebrow at me.

I slowly parked in a parking space right in front of the school entrance. I unbuckled my seatbelt and turned to face Nicolai, who was still giving me a pointed look.

"I don't remember ever saying I was a nice person." It was my turn to quirk an eyebrow at him. He rolled his eyes at my retort, letting a small laugh out.

"Fine. Don't accept my compliment. I was just trying to be a gentlemen," Nicolai snapped playfully as he crossed his arms and stuck his nose up in the air.

I started laughing at his silliness. This boy was something else.

I leaned in to whisper in his ear. "I don't like gentlemen. I don't like really anything gentle."

I was mentally applauding myself. I wanted to make him feel really uncomfortable and nervous and by the look of his widened eyes and the obvious nervous gulp he just made, I succeeded.

He masked this nervousness by gaping at me, fake-shocked. "How dare you twist my words and make them.. dirty?" What a drama queen.

I rolled my eyes at his dramatics, grabbing my stuff and getting out of the car. Nicolai caught up to me easily, falling in step.