Chapter Thirty-Eight

Hello my wonderful readers, thank you for your patience and for the 3.9k reads! :D I present you Chapter Thirty-Eight, I hope you enjoy! And if you are enjoying the story, I would appreciate it if you could shoot me a comment or message saying that I'm on the right track. I see that there are a lot of people reading, but no one really tells me what they think. Please calm my nerves and put me out of my misery--share your thoughts, thank you. :)

*****************************

"It's like we're both running in circles; constantly pulling and pushing each other away. Whatever we do, wherever we go from here, we're always going to end up finding each other. I don't know how I feel about this, and I don't know how I feel about you." ~N.T

*****************************

Thea's P.O.V

"Thea, where are you going? It's Christmas," my mom called out from the living room.

I paused, my hand on the doorknob.

"I was gonna stop by and give Nicolai his gift," I called back, my left hand tightening around the small, silver package.

"Alright, sweetie. Just be back before Grey's Anatomy is back on. This episode looks especially good."

"Yupp, see ya later, mom!"

The door slammed shut with a thud. I wrapped my cream plaid scarf around my neck, the snow deteriorating beneath my feet.

I slid into my Beetle, turning the heat on high.

Love a snowy Christmas. Don't love the freezing cold.

The streets were filled with snowy silence, echoes of little flakes dispersing throughout the deserted town. Twinkling lights stretched for miles, welcoming laughter, joy, and celebration--the end to yet another year.

I leaned back against my seat, my hands lightly steering the wheel. The only sound was that of the windshield wipers swishing to-and-fro.

My eyes glanced over to the silver package lying in the passenger seat.

Will he take my gift?

Will he want to see me?

Will he even be there?

I turned into the driveway of his grandmother's house, putting the car in park.

Now that the car had been shut off, there was no noise at all. Nothing to calm my thoughts.

Just silence-blaring, truth-bearing silence.

I could feel my heart pounding furiously in my chest, trying to break away from its chains. I couldn't even think-my mind was blank-like all my anxiety had wiped it clean.

What do I say?

He pretty much dismissed me yesterday and made it clear he didn't want me to help him.