Chapter Thirty-Three

Hello my friends, I apologize once again for the delayed update. I meant to write this chapter over the weekend but I ended up being extremely busy so that didn't work out. I'll try to update Broken Ice every Friday/Saturday, but if not, I'll make sure you guys know. Thank you for understanding and I hope you enjoy. :)
************************************
"You don't always need a plan. Sometimes you just need to breathe, trust, let go, and see what happens." ~Anonymous
************************************
Thea's P.O.V

"Mom?"

There, standing in the doorway with her hands propped on her hips, stood my mother. Skepticism lingered in her expression as she studied the scene in front of her.

There I was, propped up on my elbows, laying on the couch. Nicolai was kneeling, slightly hovering above me. We were in an uncompromising position.

Well, we looked as if we had been in an uncompromising position. Unless you consider tickling an uncompromising position.

"I came back from my trip early," my mother explained, instantly knowing that I was questioning her presence.

"Oh," I uttered, scooting myself up in a seating position. Nicolai leaned back on his knees, sending my mother a hesitant grin.

"Hi, Mrs. Crystal," he greeted, waving a hand awkwardly.

You could cut the tension in the room with a knife.

It was suffocating.

"Hello, Nicolai. How are you?"

My mom spoke politely, a kind smile on her face.

Nerves ran through my veins, making my stomach twist and turn. I couldn't read her; I didn't know what she was feeling or what she was thinking.

"I'm good, thank you," Nicolai replied warmly, trying to diffuse the awkward tension hanging in the air around us.

Yeah, no. The tension was still there.

"So," my mom started, looking at us with a smirk on her face. "When did you guys start dating?"

I gaped at her.

How the hell did she know? We only just started dating.

I fumbled for words, coming up short.

"Today's officially our first day as a couple," Nicolai jumped in to say, wrapping an arm around my shoulders and tugging me towards his warmly toned body.

"Surprise," I announced weakly, uncomfortable in more ways than one.

My mom rolled her brown eyes at us, shaking her head.

"I don't know why you two are so awkward, I'm not going to forbid you to see each other," my mom said, flashing a teasing smile.

Nicolai and I chuckled slightly, relieved that the tension had finally diffused.

I didn't think my mom would stop us from dating, but I was just unsure of her reaction. We were still on rocky terms. We went from not talking, to talking, and then again, to not talking again. All of which was my fault. I cut her off again when Nicolai and I started having issues, even though I had only just been forgiven for being such a crappy daughter not even a week before.

Yet another relationship I need to fix.

"I'm happy for you two," she commented, happiness shining in her eyes. My heart cracked slightly knowing that she deserved to feel the same happiness for herself that she was feeling for me right now. It's not fair to blame her anymore for being on that business trip when dad died. I had to let it go.