Chapter Thirty-Nine

Here we are, at 4.5k reads later, and I cannot express my happiness. We've reached Chapter Thirty-Nine already and Broken Ice is receiving so much loving support, which I'm so grateful for. I hope you keep reading, keep enjoying, and keep supporting. :) The song for this chapter is Shadow by The Bleachers. Hope you enjoy!

*************************

"I told her I was lost in this world, and she smiled, because she was too. We were all lost somehow, but we didn't care, we had in the chaos, found each other." ~Atticus 

*************************

Thea's P.O.V 

"Do you think Nicolai and you are going to be ok now? I mean, why else would he have stuck over a hundred stars to your ceiling if he didn't still have feelings for you?" Megan questioned, her raised eyebrows pointed at me.

I sipped my hot cocoa, looking out Café Latte's window. Hoards of bustling people trudged around, muddying the tainted snow, frustrated looks on everyone's face. 

They probably got the bill for all those Christmas presents they bought for everyone. Tends to put a damper on anyone's day.

"Thea, hello," Megan said, snapping her fingers in my face.

I sighed, giving her a weak smile.

"Sorry, I'm just really distracted."

She studied me closely, her lips puckered with suspicion.

"Yeah, you have been distracted quite a lot lately. Which brings me back to the question at hand—what's going on with you and Nicolai?"

I ran my hand through my tussled, brown hair.

"I don't know," I groaned with frustration. "I don't know what any of this means, what's going to happen, what his present really meant, why he gave me a present after consistently pushing me away. The only thing I know is that I'm going to fight for him, I'm not going to let him push me away."

"And how do you plan on doing that?"

I slumped in my seat, completely defeated. "I don't know that either."

Megan lightly chuckled, swirling her green tea around, a pensive look on her face.

"Why don't you do something that will make it impossible for him to push you away?" Megan suggested, a mischievous glint in her blue eyes.

My eyebrows furrowed together.

"You mean like bribe him in some way? Doesn't that seem a tad manipulative?" 

The idea was enticing, but the hesitation in my voice was clear. I don't want to have to bribe him to let me in, I want him to choose to let me in.

"No, you misunderstood me," Megan said, shaking her head. "I meant, why don't you show him what he'll be missing out on if he pushes you completely away to the point where you guys aren't together anymore? Show him why you need each other. Do something that will show him how much you care about him, that there's more to think about in this situation than what he wants. It's about both of you guys and how it will affect both of you."

I peered at her curiously, almost in awe. 

Why didn't I think of that?

"That's not that bad of an idea," I mused, my lips curling into a grin. "I think I just might use it."

Megan returned the smile. "Glad to be of service."

I finished off my hot chocolate, leaning forward to whisper to her.