Chapter Forty

Happy holidays! Hope you're having a rockin' time and that this chapter only adds on to your rockin' mood. :) Don't be afraid to lend me your thoughts in the comments below!

***********************

"We're a perfect match, but darling, matches burn." ~Anonymous

***********************

Thea's P.O.V

We were lying on the couch in my living room, bundled up in a thousand, plush and fuzzy blankets. The fireplace cackled in the late evening, radiating a homey warmth unknown to be found anywhere, but here. The TV hummed as we watched intently as Harry Potter died to save everyone. 

I heard a little sniffle, making me lift my head off Nicolai's shoulder.

His eyes were watery, as he bit down on his lip, trying not to cry.

I smiled fondly, grabbing his hand. His eyes flickered down to mine, a blush appearing on his cheeks as he realized I noticed his sadness. I kissed him softly on the cheek, simply because he was just so damn adorable, and rested my head again on his shoulder. I sighed contently as he wrapped a warm, toned arm around me, pulling me even closer.

There was this feeling in the air—one of content and peace. After we reconciled, we talked it out about his father. I agreed I would never approach his father or directly contact him for anything or for any reason and Nicolai agreed to let me help him if push came to shove and his father caused problems. 

It was hard for him to compromise over such a personal issue, but I eventually convinced him. I didn't want him to go through this alone. If his father does come over and tries anything, Nicolai may not be prepared to handle that kind of situation. He already received enough trauma from that man. He doesn't deserve to go through something like that alone again. This time, I would be there. And I made sure he knew that.

Nicolai's phone lit up, ringing loudly. 

"Hello?"

I pulled back to look at him curiously, waiting for him to let me know who it was. I watched his green eyes lighten up and a smile spread across his face.

"Yeah, sounds good, man. I'll let you know. See ya later," he hung up, shoving his phone into his pocket.

I quirked an eyebrow, waiting for an explanation.

"Well," I drawled, motioning for him to let me in on the details.

Nicolai grinned. "Jake and the guys are going to the movies tomorrow and they invited us to come along. Apparently, the guys found some girls they really like and wanted to take them out on a group date. Well,  Aiden, Johnny, and Tommy have dates. Jake's still having trouble finding a nice girl."

My eyebrows shot up into my hairline, as my mouth curved into an impressed smile.

"Good for them. But, poor Jake. He would be like the fifth wheel."

Nicolai shrugged.

"Not much we can do about it," he sighed.

Just then, an idea popped into my head. I sat up, smacking Nicolai excitedly on the arm.

"I got it, I got it," I cheered.

Nicolai complained, pushing my excited hands away from him.

"Stop with the smacking, darling. You actually hit harder than you think. And what idea?" He asked curiously, studying me intently.

I waggled my eyebrows, hinting at what I was thinking of.

Nicolai's eyes widened, as he shook his head profusely.