Chapter Thirty-Six

Hey my beautiful readers, just wanted to say thank you for your continuous support, including your comments and votes. It really means a lot, so thank you for making me smile. :) Sorry for the short chapter, but it's all building up to an important discovery.

***************************************************************************************************

"A secret's worth depends on the people from whom it must be kept." ~Carlos Ruiz Zafon

***************************************************************************************************

Thea's P.O.V.

"Happy Thanksgiving!"

We clinked our glasses together, our chimes and cheers mingling together in harmony.

Everything was amazing--the food, the laughter, the atmosphere, the people. The air smelled of turkey and mash potatoes and cinnamon. My mother, Nicolai, and Nicolai's grandmother were all seated around me, faces alight with genuine happiness and peace.

I was thankful that Nicolai had set this up. After seeing how distraught I was reflecting on my last Thanksgiving, Nicolai decided to recreate one of my past Thanksgiving dinners. And I was really happy he did it. And I was happy I had someone in my life who was willing to do something like that for me.

"Nicolai, Thea, look this way. Let me take a picture of you two," my mom said, pulling out her Canon camera.

Nicolai and I pushed our chairs together, leaning our heads closer to each other. Wide grins spread across our faces as my mom clicked several pictures.

"You two look adorable," my mom squealed, looking through the pictures she just took.

"Mom," I groaned, settling back into my seat. Nicolai simply smirked at me, stealing a quick kiss.

"You two look especially adorable in those little sweaters of yours," Nicolai's grandmother pointed out.

Nicolai and I were wearing matching Thanksgiving sweaters, with a humongous turkey head saying 'gobble gobble' on it.

"Well it was my idea, which means of course it was brilliant," Nicolai said cockily, a smug smile printed on his face.

All three of us groaned at his overconfidence, his grandmother shaking her head at him playfully.

"Thank god you have Thea. God knows someone needs to knock your ego down a notch," she said with a grin.

I laughed at Nicolai's pouty face, pinching his cheek.

"I'm outnumbered," he grumbled. "There's too much estrogen in the room."

I rolled my eyes at his dramatics, patting him patronizingly on the head.

"Aww, poor baby," I cooed in a baby voice, receiving a very dark glare from Nicolai.

"Bless your souls, you two are already acting like an old married couple," his grandmother commented, green eyes crinkled with amusement.

My mom clapped her hands together, a look of realization on her face.

"That reminds me, there's an apple pie waiting to be eaten."

Nicolai rubbed his stomach with a hesitant look on his face.

"I know I probably shouldn't eat anymore since there's a risk my stomach will explode, but who can resist apple pie," he shrugged, his mouth curving into a beaming smile.

"Alright, I'll be right back," my mom said, disappearing into the kitchen.

Nicolai's phone started ringing suddenly, making a gloomy expression cross his face. He got a new phone last week since his last one was still sitting destroyed in my bag. When I asked him what happened to his old one, he lied and said he dropped it in the school parking lot and one of the kids ran it over with their car. I can't believe he actually thought I would buy that lie. But instead of confronting him, I decided to let it go. For now.