The Watch

It was the dead of night by the time Kakashi had reached his last stop on the patrol list. All the other stations reported nothing suspicious and Kakashi was hoping this last stop would fall in line with the rest. This last patrol was set up in a section of the forest that overlooked the farthest back wall of the village. If anything this might be the place to see the most action, an intruder would feel that this could be the best place to slip in undetected and strike. Kakashi took great care in the detail of each section he assigned, he looked the map of the village over so many times he could see it in his sleep. He was very confident that there was no place an intruder could get into the village without being seen, or at least he hoped as much.

Kakashi stilled, scanning the area for any kind of movement. When he was satisfied with his surroundings he echoed the secret call into the night, alerting the ANBU present that he was there and to come to him. They appeared in a flash in front of him, the two most important watchmen of all the others.

"How has your patrol been?" Kakashi asked, hoping the last stop had been as quiet as the others.

"It's been silent since the beginning" Stated the first, the other ANBU nodded in agreement.

Kakashi let out a sigh of relief, exactly what I wanted to hear.

With the threat level lowered slightly they stood to talk for a while taking in the sounds of the night that echoing through the forest. The animal calls, flowing water, and a small breeze drifting through the trees. Kakashi knew the night could not be spent standing still in one spot like this so he said his goodbyes and left the two to the remainder of their watch.

Making his way back to the base he had set up for himself his mind began to drift back to Yuki. That single moment they had spent together was all he needed to feel their connection grow stronger. She won't want me once she knows. There's no way she will be happy if this mask comes off and she sees my face underneath.

He felt himself frown, but he knew it was for the best. The plan from the beginning was to not make this relationship official. Wolf will disappear and he won't be back.

Finally reaching his base Kakashi sat and waited for any news. His mind drifting again, to a life he knew he could never have and to a happiness that was not his to claim.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The night dragged on as Kakashi sat alone in his base. Ever watchful he had silenced his mind from any thoughts not involving his surveillance. Drifting could mean missing something and Kakashi knew he did not have time for that. The night remained silent, but that did nothing for Kakashi's nerves.

Just because I cannot hear anything doesn't mean there isn't something coming.

He continued to scan the small area when a sound hit him. It was the sound of movement, of a person moving towards him. He stood, readying himself for what might come next, but stopped suddenly when he heard the call of another ANBU. He responded back as the ANBU appeared in front of him.

"What is it?" Kakashi asked, seeing there was only one person in front of him. Had he left the other behind to defend an attack?

"The far left corner has seen movement. I have been sent to tell you about it and to ask for further instruction."

Kakashi cursed silently, he had to think and he had to think fast.

"How many were spotted?"

"So far it has just been one. The two on patrol in that section called two more for assistance. Two have gone in looking for others, while one has stayed close to the movement. The other has stayed behind to stand watch for anything further."

"Good. We will continue with that motion, we cannot have others leave their stations and endanger their areas. Send word to the other stations about what is happening, tell them to be on their guard. I will go and assist with the movement. Listen for any signals that backup is needed."

Kakashi dismissed the man with a nod as they both parted ways quickly.

I will not let them get away this time. You will soon join your friend, or maybe not. Maybe you won't make it out of these woods alive!