The Longest Day

By the time Yuki's alarm went off she had managed to get a good four hours of sleep. She sat up in bed and realized Wolf had never come back after his meeting with the Hokage. He must have had a late night too. She felt strange as she rose and began to get ready. She couldn't put her finger on what was wrong, but something was off. She continued to ignore it as she readied for the day and headed out the door to the academy.

She found Iruka walking and ran to catch up with him.

"Good morning Yuki" He said smiling at her as they continued to walk "Late night?"

"You could say that" She said with a laugh as they made their way inside the building to Yuki's room

"Anything new in the intruder development?" Iruka asked as Yuki sat down behind her desk

"Well there was another last night. Plans are in place to move before they do" Yuki looked to Iruka not knowing how much she was able to talk about

"Well that's good. As long as something is being done about all this"

"I agree. We need to end this before it gets out of hand."

"I'm heading to my room to get ready. I'll see you later." Yuki waved as she tried her best to get ready for the day

------------------------------------------------------

It was half-way through the day when an announcement came over the speakers that all students were to return home by order of the Hokage.

"You heard the message. Do not leave your homes, understood?" Yuki said looking around the room

"Yes Yuki sensei" The children rose and left as Yuki stood in the hall holding the door open for them. Each saying their goodbyes as they passed.

Yuki stepped back in and closed the door, jumping back at the sight of an ANBU figure standing before her.

"The Hokage has requested your presence."

Yuki grabbed her bag from the desk and followed the ANBU out the window, making their way to the Hokages office windows. Yuki was nervous as she entered the empty room, the ANBU leaving her. She turned to place her bag on a nearby chair and waited. Did I do something wrong?

The door opened soon after, the Hokage entering alone.

"Please sit Yuki." He gestured to a chair in front of his desk

"Thank you Hokage-sama" Yuki sat, trying her best not to look too scared

"Yuki I have decided it would be in the best interests of the scout team to have you go with them."

Yuki's eyes went wide, she never thought she would be asked to be a part of the scout team. Something only a truly elite ANBU member should be on.

"Don't panic Yuki. You'll be surrounded by ANBU the entire time." He said laughing taking in her expression "Besides I have faith in your abilities."

"I am very honored you have chosen me for this." Yuki said with a small smile

"Of course Yuki. I cancelled the rest of class today to have you go on this mission." Another roar of laughter came from the Hokage "Now go and join the ANBU team meeting."

The same ANBU appeared behind her as she stood and gathered her things. Bowing on her way out the door, the Hokage smiled brightly at her as she left.

It took seconds to enter headquarters and walk into the meeting room. This time the room was not empty. Wolf had assembled his team and was getting ready to run down their mission when Yuki walked in. She blushed brightly seeing everyone staring at her. Wolf stayed in his position in front of the room, not moving towards her. She could feel he was angry.

"Please have a seat Yuki. You will need to be here to listen to our strategy. On this mission you are here strictly for directions." He was short and cold when he spoke, all the while Yuki could still feel he was angry. She simply nodded as he continued.

Wolf did not speak to her the entire meeting. He spoke with the ANBU and laid his plan in place. Once all were in agreeance of what was to happen and what was expected of them they were dismissed. Yuki turned to follow when Wolf called her back in. She turned slowly and sat back in her seat.

"I didn't ask to come on this mission you know." She said before Wolf could say anything

"No this was the Hokage's doing. I do not understand why he thinks this will be such a good idea. We have the map we'll be fine." Wolf raged on as Yuki stayed silent arms crossed over her chest.

By the time Wolf had noticed he had insulted Yuki it was too late.

"I'm not a piece of baggage you need to be concerned about!" Yuki stood before his desk "I can handle myself just fine. I'll be ready to leave when it is time, I will be in your presence not a moment sooner."

She turned on her heel and walked out the door. It took everything in her not to slam it, but as she leaned against the door she heard the desk go flying across the room. Luckily the hall was empty so no one had heard their exchange or the desk. Yuki left ANBU headquarters feeling strong and defeated at the same time. The Hokage believed in her, but Wolf didn't, it was hard to accept his lack of faith in her after all she had done.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Yuki had slept the entire rest of the day knowing she would need her strength tonight. Her alarm sounding as the sun was just beginning to set in the sky. What should have been an exciting mission was turning into a dreaded chore. Yuki was beyond anxious to see Wolf after all that had happened. They couldn't let their tension show during the mission, it was dangerous enough without adding more to it.

Yuki rose and readied herself, dressing in all black as was requested for the mission. She turned to the chair by the windows to see Wolf sitting silently. She knew he had been there for some time, but hoped he would say something first.

"I'm not late and I know where I'm going." Yuki snapped in his direction as she turned to continue getting ready.

Wolf rose without a word and hugged her from behind. Yuki stilled in his embrace, leaning her head back into him.

"I was just nervous about taking you. We don't know what's waiting for us, we have no way of knowing." Yuki turned in his arms to face him

"You have to believe in me, have faith in my skills. I know I'm not ANBU, but I do have a lot to offer. I promise I will listen to your directions and I will be on guard." Yuki sounded as if she were begging a parent to listen.

"I just want you safe Yuki. I can't keep an eye on everything." He said backing away from her and sitting on the bed

"I understand" She said standing in front of him, her hands on his shoulders "I think this mission will go easier than you think. We'll be fine."

Kakashi looked up at her smiling face and couldn't help smiling too. She felt his tension easy and his anger pull back a little.

"You could feel all that huh?" He said with a laugh

"Yeah." She said with a giggle as he grabbed her hand looking at the seal

"This makes me feel a little better about all this. Do not forget what you can do with this."

"I won't." She said taking her hand back as she rushed through getting ready

They both left through the windows, Kakashi feeling a small sense of pride having Yuki by his side. It was very interesting to have her in this part of his life and he had to admit it was a little exciting to go on a mission together.