The Calm before the Storm

Yuki did not sleep at all. She simply stared from the widows to the ceiling, as if answers were going to fall from the heavens. She rose slowly and began to get ready, knowing all too well this was the last possible day to see Wolf. She had contemplated all night marching into ANBU headquarters and saying she had to speak to him, that even the Hokage had sent her with news of the mission. Her mind was searching for anything to get her close to him.

Collecting the last of her daily items Yuki headed to the academy, again far earlier than any other person would be there. She had avoided Iruka so much lately and she was beginning to feel very guilty about all of it. I just don't have anything to say.

Yuki's head hung low as she continued into the academy doors. I don't want to burden Iruka with my torn heart. He has a life too, he doesn't have time to console a crying girl.

Yuki slammed her bag onto her desk, anger raging through her. Her life had always been so calculated, so precise, but now she was spinning out of control. She always had her emotions in check, always had a plan for every situation. Her emotions were getting the best of her and she couldn't seem to contain them.

When did I become so weak? Ever since I entered this village I have done nothing but lose control of my entire life.

The anger began to grow and grow, to the point Yuki had torn apart half her classroom. She felt so helpless, out of her element of always having things organized in her life. The weight of the situation with Wolf and her hold on her life were beginning to become too much. As she began to calm down she sank into her chair, thankful no one was here to see her like this. How ridiculous, she thought as she began to straighten things up, and yet this is exactly what I'm talking about. I have never burst out in a fit of rage before. What have I become?

By the time she had finished Iruka had walked by her door.

"Good morning Yuki" Iruka said cheerfully as he entered her room, unaware of the state it had just been in

"Good morning Iruka, how are you?" Yuki continued to feel horrible about letting their friendship slide so far. He was the first person to really accept me.

"I'm doing just fine. How are you?" Iruka's tone showed nothing of how Yuki felt of the situation, he still considered her the dear friend he met not so long ago.

The truth was Iruka had his own secrets he was keeping from Yuki, she would never understand the guilt he felt keeping so much from her. I wonder if she'll ever forgive me when she finds everything out? How could I forget what the end result of this situation would bring?!

"I'm doing better." Yuki said pushing a smile forward.

The two looked at each other, holding their secrets tightly to them.

"Iruka, would you like to have dinner tonight? You can pick the place" We need more than one dinner to get back on track, but this is a start. Yuki watched as Iruka's face lit up.

"Of course! That sounds great Yuki" Yuki couldn't help almost running to Iruka and hugging him. Iruka was slightly startled, but hugged Yuki back.

"I'm really excited for our night" Iruka said looking down at Yuki as she stepped away

"Me too" Yuki smiled as Iruka turned and left her room

I hope I can feel close to you again Iruka, I have neglected our friendship so much lately. Starting today it won't be like that again! Yuki smiled to herself as she sat at her desk.

However, in Iruka's room things were very different. He entered his room like a blast of thunder and it was his turn to slam his desk except he used his fist.

How could I ever let Kakashi talk me into this? There's no way Yuki will ever speak to me again when all this comes to light. I'm going to lose a friend because he can't be in a relationship like a normal person.

Iruka sat and tried to compose himself, things will never be the same between us.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The day had finally come to an end, something Yuki couldn't have been more thankful for. She smiled saying her goodbyes to her students as they left. She gathered her things and went to find Iruka to see where he wanted to go for their dinner tonight. She had just turned out of her room when she saw the back of Kakashi moving down the hall. It was then that Yuki remembered the two ANBU she had overheard leaving the meeting saying Kakashi was in ANBU. Everything hit Yuki like a ton of bricks, what if Kakashi works with Wolf? What if he goes for the mission on Wolf's team?! She knew Kakashi wouldn't tell her anything, but that didn't mean she couldn't say something to him.

Kakashi could feel Yuki's anger as she approached, but he continued down the hall. He knew she was coming for him. He had taken a small break from planning to at least catch a glimpse of her. I wonder why she is so anger with me?

"Don't bother turning around, I know you won't answer me anyway." Yuki said from behind Kakashi as he stopped in the hall "I heard some ANBU say you were a member. If you work close to or anywhere near Wolf I'm asking you to watch out for him, especially if you're on his team that leaves tomorrow. I know what you're capable of and I know how powerful you are. I realize I am in no place to ask you for a favor, but I think of this more as a heads-up. If anything happens to Wolf and I find out you were there, you can be sure I'll be looking for you. I may be small, but I can promise you I can hurt you just as much as any other ninja. Maybe it won't be physically, but I will be sure to grab ahold of your deepest, darkest secrets and spread them all over this village and beyond when I hit you with my genjutsu. I'm sure you wouldn't want that. A simple nod will be enough for me to acknowledge you understood what I said."

Kakashi couldn't help but smile as he felt Yuki's emotions come in waves. When she spoke of Wolf he felt the love, when she spoke of coming after him he felt the rage. This connection gave him full insight into everything Yuki felt. Kakashi was at least thankful the ANBU hadn't used both his name and alias as they spoke.

He nodded without turning around, waiting for Yuki to say something.

"Good. Have a safe mission." She walked past him, straight into Iruka's room like they had never spoken a word to each other.

He smiled as he walked to the room both Iruka and Yuki turning to look at him. Yuki's eyes met Kakashi's as Iruka went into the hall to talk with him, closing the door behind him.

"Are you looking for a fight?" Iruka said turning around, but thankfully Yuki was seated at his desk not paying any attention to them.

"No, I was looking for you. I need to speak with you before I leave for my mission. It is very important."

"Fine. I'll meet up with you after Yuki and I have dinner tonight. I have a few questions for you." Iruka felt himself say the last part of the sentence in a mean tone.

Kakashi looked at him questioningly noticing the attitude Iruka had spoken with, but decided now wasn't the time.

"I'll be waiting for you." Kakashi nodded to Iruka and walked off.

Iruka entered the room and took his seat next to Yuki. She looked at him with a smile.

"Where do you want to go for dinner?" She asked collecting her bag from the floor and rising

"I'm not sure. I guess we can change and I'll meet you at your house." Iruka said with a shrug

"That sounds good. We can start walking and see what smells good." They both laughed as they went their separate ways to get ready. Both happy they were doing this, it was long overdue.