The Friend

Kakashi spent the rest of the afternoon perched in his favorite tree reading. However, he wasn’t really reading. He was so close to Yuki’s house he found himself staring in her windows waiting to see her. She was walking around placing items here and there, most of the village had given her items to decorate her house. Everything she would need to start out was delivered to her door by smiling faces and each time Yuki greeted them with such appreciation.

Kakashi watched as Iruka approached her door and waited outside to be let in. Yuki grabbed Iruka by the hand and led him around showing him everything the village had given to her. Kakashi found himself growing jealous as Yuki continued to hold Iruka’s hand, I should go in there and drag him out. Kakashi shook the idea from his head and continued watching, If I got a little closer to that window I’d be able to hear everything. Kakashi made his way to the tree next to Yuki’s house and waited.

“I came to tell you about the Hokage’s decision on your job in the village.” Iruka sat at Yuki’s kitchen table as she brought tea for the both of them.

“And?” Yuki was leaning over the table, waiting with anticipation to hear the answer

“You will become a teacher at the academy. I am in charge of preparing you and you will start as soon as possible.”

“Oh Iruka that’s amazing!” Yuki was so excited, but then felt disappointed. Her smiled faded very quickly.

“What’s wrong?” Iruka placed his cup down on the table, searching Yuki’s face

“Can I ask you something?”

“Of course.”

“Did I not impress the Hokage enough with my genjutsu? Does he think my abilities are not good enough to run missions?”

“Of course not Yuki. The Hokage felt that your way of thinking would help the students at the academy. Your ideas will be different because you were not educated here. Plus you have worked with every village and know how they operate.” Iruka felt horrible, he was basically lying to the girl and now she thinks she’s not good enough.

Kakashi leaned his head against the tree this was not what I wanted to happen. I only wanted to protect her.

“The Hokage did say that if he felt you were needed he will put you on the mission.” That seemed to help Yuki a little

“I just thought I might be considered for ANBU, I mean my genjutsu is perfect for those missions.” She stared down at her tea, becoming silent

Oh no! Iruka had no idea what to say next

Kakashi felt awful, but he knew it was for the best, someday Yuki, you will thank me. You don’t want this life. Never knowing what will come next, not knowing if you’ll make it back. You’re nothing but an assassin, you’re better than this.

“I’m sorry, that makes me sound so ungrateful, but the one thing that runs through my mind is the members of ANBU. They have families and friends, I don’t have any of that. I would gladly take the place of one of them so they could live out their lives with all the people that love them, that rely on them. I was actually really hoping for ANBU.” Yuki’s smile was weak, but her words were beautiful

“Yuki,” Iruka reached over the table to capture her hand “your reasons for wanting to join ANBU are nothing short of noble. Maybe after a few years the Hokage will consider you for ANBU, but right now he feels your place is passing on your knowledge at the academy. There is much honor in that.”

All Kakashi wanted was to tell Yuki how amazing her performance was, how she had impressed even him. Iruka had hopefully soothed her with his words, I’d never be able to do such a thing. Kakashi ran his hand through his hair, he had no idea how to deal with his feelings for Yuki or this situation.

“You’re going to be an incredible sensei.” Iruka squeezed Yuki’s hand.

They shared a smile and continued their conversation. Discussing everything from lesson plans, to how the children act and how to deal with them. Yuki found herself coming around to the idea and was actually really happy about the decision.

“Thank you for coming over Iruka.” Yuki said clearing the table “You know you’re the reason I even thought of being a teacher at the academy.”

“Really?” Iruka was totally shocked

“Of course. The entire village loves you and the children admire you. I would love to have that.”

“And you will Yuki.” They embraced again.

"Thank you for being my friend Iruka." Yuki said still hugging Iruka

"Always Yuki, always."

Is he flirting with her?! How could he?! Kakashi was beyond angry now. I’ll be paying him a visit tonight. With that Kakashi leapt from the tree, returning to his home. He would wait a few hours to visit Iruka and discuss his actions.