Chapter 31

Athena lays on the hospital bed with lots of tubes and wires attached to her and it broke the couple's heart seeing their little girl in such state. She looks lifeless as her skin is paler than ever and few bruises are covering her body. It was heartbreaking.

Cheryl has been sat on the chair by the hospital bed staring at her fragile daughter for hours. It's already two in the morning and they haven't got any sleep. Simon looks out for his wife cause he knows this is harder on her part and she needs support.

As Cheryl stares at her, her mind went to overdrive. Wondering what could've been if her daughter was with her all along, if she saw how her daughter grew up. She's sure that everything will be the same except for her daughter being sick. They should be happy but what is happening. They are slowly breaking apart and everything and everyone is affected.

Their family, relationship, career... It's all being put out on the line. Sacrifices are very important right at this moment. These sacrifices might be the only solution for a heart that is craving for affection of a daughter. But then when all is done and the days are over what is going to happen next. 

That's a question that's been bothering Cheryl for the longest time. When the time comes, that her daughter can't go on anymore, what will happen to her, to her family, to her career. All is in stake because Cheryl knows that when that day comes, her soul and her heart will die along with her daughter and she won't feel anything anymore. And when that happens she's afraid that she might forget her responsibilities, her husband and her son because she won't be herself anymore.

And these days with what she's witnessing about her daughter's condition, she's trying her best to be ready when the time has come but then as time goes by she realized that she would never be ready. No one can be ready for someone's death especially if they are very important to you so by then she was lost. So lost...

-------------

The morning came but still Athena is in deep slumber. The couple are exhausted and Simon decided to go home for a while to freshen up and get some clothes for his wife leaving Cheryl looking out for her daughter. 

She was tired because she lack of sleep. She's really not comfortable with hospitals after what happened to her years ago with the malaria and all. She always hated it when she's in a hospital and now this. But with the thought of Athena being safe when she's at the hospital, is the only reason she's relieved.

Minutes have passed and at last Simon walked in the room carrying bags making Cheryl smile and stood up walking over to her husband giving him a kiss. 

"Still asleep?" Simon asked as he puts the bags down on  the sofa. Cheryl nods and sighs resting her head on his chest and he felt the stress his wife is feeling as he puts his arms around her pulling her closer to him. 

"Babe, I think you should go home and rest for a while, then come back with Eric. I know you're stressed out already." Cheryl looks up and sighed. She knows Simon is right, she is stressed out. Though she refuse to leave her daughter she found herself nodding to him. Simon sighs and places a kiss on her forehead.

"I'll take care of her..." He smiled and it somehow made Cheryl smile. She pulled away and walks over the bed placing a kiss on her daughter's forehead.

"I'll be back later Bella..." She whispers before taking the car keys on Simon's hand. She placed a kiss on Simon's lips before pulling away and head towards the door. 

"I love you. Drive safe." Simon said as he smiled to his wife 

"I love you too." And with that Cheryl left the room leaving the two alone. Simon sighs as he made his way towards the bed placing a kiss on his daughter' s forehead before taking his seat by the bed as he pulled his phone out from his pocket and saw a text coming from Amanda

Amanda: Good Morning Simon, Just letting you know, we'll be coming to visit Athena. See you later.

Simon smiles at the message. He's glad about the effort and he appreciates that so much and he's lucky to have friends like them. He's eyes traveled to Athena who is still sleeping on the hospital bed and remembered how this week will be tough on her. 

After recovering from a surgery, she will have her first session of radiation and he knows how much it can affect Athena. He knows it'll make her even more weaker and it's not the picture he wants to witness his daughter in. He can't handle seeing her so weak. He just wants her to be happy and be well not the other way around.

------------

Cheryl's P.O.V.

"Chez, come in babe" I smiled as I walked in Nicola's house and as soon as I stepped in the front room, I saw my son watching telly still in his pajamas eating some pancakes. I smiled at his cuteness as I cleared my throat and he instantly looks up with a mouth full of food making me let out a soft giggle.

"MAMMY!" He ran to us and I caught him lifting him up in my arms sending him into giggles. I closed my eyes at the comfort of his touch and it somehow made a lump form in my throat but when he pulls back to look at us , I managed to fake a smile but I know he can read us like a book as his smile fades and he touched my cheeks looking at us with worried eyes. 

"Did you behaved?" I asked trying to take his attention at us. He nods and puts his arms around us and it made a smile form on my lips. He knows when I need his hugs. 

"How's your white rose?" I hear Nic whisper as we sat on the sofa.

"She's stable, thank God she went through surgery just fine." 

"She's stronger than you think Chez. She'll get through this." I just hope Nicola is speaking the truth cause, I can't cope with losing  my daughter again. 

"Mammy, where's Athena. I miss her." I look down at my son and I can see what he's feeling through his eyes. He's sad and worried, I can't blame him though. He's quite aware of what's happening to his sister with the constant visits at the hospital.

"Bubba, She's sick but don't worry daddy is taking care of her."

"But mammy, I want to see her." Nicola and I shared a look before I let out a sigh and stroked his hair.

"We'll see her later, after you get ready." As soon as he heard this, his eyes lit up and launched himself at us making me smile. Honestly, I find it quite amazing how Eric could be so attached to her sister right now with the fact that they only have met few months ago. 

"Now go finish your food." I whispered placing a kiss on his cheek before completely pulling away. He giggles as he went back to his food and got busy. I turned to Nicola to see her looking at us with an expression I couldn't quite read. She then touched my hand and offered a smile.

"What is it Nic?" I whispered making her sigh. I knew it, she wanted to say something. 

"Nothing...Are you okay?" She whispered making me look away and just nod. I'm not okay, that's the truth but I can't seem to voice it out. I want to say that I'm not okay or I'm not fine cause I just had my daughter back and now she's slowly fading again from my sight and it was breaking my heart every single day that pass.

"Are you sure?" I looked at her and slowly shook my head making sure Eric won't see it. I don't like him getting too much involve in our situation right now. It's enough that he knows that her sister is sick. That's it. 

She sighs and pulls us into her arms making me let out a shaky breath as I relaxed in her arms. I felt comfort in her arms and at this moment, I need comfort as much as possible because it's one factor that keeps us going on.

"Everything will be alright soon." she whispers and I just wish that will soon come true because I'm exhausted of everything that is going on and I just want everything to be alright.

Can I request for comments guys??Xx I just need inspiration :) Thankies