Sixty-One

She couldn't think. She couldn't move. And she sure as hell couldn't breathe. V was slumped, limp, against the brick wall. Blood dropped from a hole in the side of his head and blood gushed from a hole in his chest. A tall, menacing man stood in front of the body with a gun in his hand.

"Bang. Bang." The killer snickered. Suga didn't even pause a moment. He grabbed the killer's hair and slammed the back of his head into the bricks. Suga shoved his knee into the killer's gut and slammed his head against the wall one more time. He fell to the ground and Suga kicked him in the face. There was a sickening crunch as Suga stomped on his nose. Then Suga grabbed the collar of his shirt and began to punch him viciously. Suga didn't seem to have any control. He just kept flinging his fists and wherever they landed was good enough. The killer moaned in pain and was too disoriented to fight back. Finally after hundreds of punches, Suga picked him up by the collar of his shirt and looked at him. The killer's face was bloody and disfigured with puffy bruises, his eyes could barely open. The killer smiled and blood dribbled out of his mouth, spilling out onto his shirt. The alley was filled with the putrid, salty smell of blood. Suga had that vicious, hateful look in his eyes again. All the hurtful things he was doing was justified in those eyes. And she couldn't help but agree this time

Suga finally threw the killer against the wall and picked up the gun that had somehow been tossed aside. Suga looked the gun over carefully, before turning and pointing it at the killer. She looked past the two and looked at V. His eyes were open and lifeless. She flinched and looked back at the two. They looked like animals. A hunter and the hunted. Gut instinct and hate filled Suga's expression. The killer's face was too disfigured to see his expression.

"What's your name?" Suga asked. His voice shook with an unmanageable rage.

"Never mind. I really don't care. Did you know his name?" Suga jerked the gun in V's direction.

"No." The killer sneered.

"His name was V. How many times did you shoot him?" Suga asked. Each word was a knife to her head and to her heart. Why was Suga insisting on asking these questions?

"Twice. Bang. Bang." The killed chuckled making a gun with his bloody, dirty fingers. Suddenly the killer coughed and blood sprayed from his face. She wasn't sure where it had come from, blood covered his face in a wet sheen.

"Yakuza?" Suga asked. The killer nodded, stifling his coughs.

"Where did you shoot him?" Suga asked.

"Suga we know..." She trailed off uncertainly.

"I wanna hear him say it." Suga growled. The killer smiled,

"Once in the head. Bang. Once in the heart. Bang."

Before she could react, and before the killer had finished letting out a breath. Suga had the gun cocked and shot him in the chest.

"Bang." He murmured, raising the gun and shooting him in the head, "Bang." Blood streamed from the wound in his chest, mixing with the blood from his beaten face. A thick, slow blob made it's way down the middle of the killer's forehead and down his face. She looked at the body is horror and terror. She heard the gun cock again. Suga still had it pointed at the body, like he might shoot it until he ran out of bullets. She stepped forward and put a hand on his shoulder,

"No. You've done everything you can." She murmured.

"But I'm still mad." Suga was trembling violently. With anger and sadness, a toxic mix of the two. She gripped his shoulder tighter. He quelled his trembling and aimed the gun up at the sky. He fired two shots. Then his arm fell to his side limply. He threw the gun to the ground, and it skittered away with a loud clacking. She flinched and stepped closer to him. He didn't move, but she could see his eyes on V's dead body. Limp, lifeless, the alleyway smelled like something. She had never smelt it before, but it smelled like despair, like death. She couldn't look at V's hopeless eyes, glazed over and unseeing. She slowly stepped away from Suga and crouched down in front of V. Blood still fell thickly from the side of his head. She held back a gag, she looked away and closed his eyes. His skin was already cold. She clamped a hand over her mouth and cried into her hand silently. Finally she was able to stand. She walked over to the killer. She calmly ripped off the Yakuza insignia on his jacket. She stood. She couldn't see his eyes, but he was sitting up. He shouldn't be sitting, he should be lying down. It was closer to hell. She ruthlessly kicked the side of his head and watched as his heavy body thudded down on the ground. Suga clenched his fists and looked away in complete anger, trying to keep himself under control. She covered her mouth and nose. The stench of blood and death was so powerful she could taste it. She cried silently, tears rolling over her knuckles. Suga stayed perfectly still, keeping his eyes on V. Finally she turned away from the bodies. She picked the gun up off the ground and looked at it. This little piece of metal.

Bang, f**king bang.