Chapter 7 | Secret Exchange

The next morning, Ricky was still asleep when the guard woke me up. He had a rough day, so I let him sleep. Whoa, wait... Did I just... Did I really just say that? Since when have I cared about someone else's well being? Half the time I don't give a shit about my own well being. I guess this whole good behavior thing has gotten to me. The last thing I need is to learn how to care about someone else.

Chris and I were both on kitchen duty early in the morning for breakfast. Because it's an exclusively male prison, they trust Chris with a lot of shit. He has no reason to attack a man. For the first few months I was here, I had an attitude. Lucky for me, I got over my arrogance and learned I'd do much better if I behaved. I've, for the most part, earned the staff's trust. As you can imagine, only the trusted inmates are allowed on kitchen duty because we're handling people's food.

It was fall at the moment. When I walked inside the kitchen, I could smell the autumn scents tumbling in from the barred windows. It was so refreshing. The nicest part of this job is I don't work very long. Though Ricky gets to sleep in, he'll put in a long shift today. I hope he does alright without me. I'm sure he will because it's not like he has to work a tough job and most the inmates that work at the press are lower level criminals. I just don't want to fuck up the whole keeping him alive thing.

Speaking of, Chris did not forget what I told him yesterday. As I stood in front of a small mirror to pull back my hair, he walked up behind me.

"So." He began.

"So?" I played along.

"So, tell me about the deal you made with the warden." He stated.

I sighed as I turned to face him. There were plenty of other inmates around us. I kept my voice low as I started rolling up my sleeves. "As long as Ricky stays alive, Mike stays out of solitary confinement."

Chris looked a little taken back by what I had said. "So, you and Mike-"

"There's nothing going on between us. You know that, Chris. I'm just doing it as a friend." I responded.

We both walked over to the walk in fridge to start hauling out cases of fruit. Most the time I was in the kitchen I was just muscle but I didn't complain. I wasn't the best chef, even if it doesn't take too much skill to prep a prison breakfast. We get some kind of fruit, a form of eggs, oatmeal, and coffee or milk. I eat better here than I did when I was free, but that was my own fault.

Chris stayed somewhat quiet. Much quieter than he normally is. There was something turning in that head of his. I just don't know what and I'm not going to push. We respect each other's space.

"Ange is coming to visit today." He unexpectedly commented as we pushed the crates on the metal table.

"Is it the last Friday of the month already?" I scoffed, shocked how fast time had gone by.

He chuckled. "Yeah, I guess so. I can't wait to see him though."

"You and I both. I've reread my last set of books twice now." I stated. "I'm sure you're out of room in your notebooks too."

"I have been for a while. I wouldn't care if he came empty handed. I'm just happy to see him." He expressed.

"I'm sure." I replied, not thinking much of it.

Angelo, my old cellmate, was and still is extremely close with Chris. They went to high school together, and Ange ended up helping Chris hide when his body count caught up to him. He got a sentence of three years for being an accessory to murder. He hates coming back here because of the memories, but has continued to visit Chris and I on the last Friday of every month. Sometimes he comes more when he misses us.

Chris cleaned his throat a bit and glanced over at me. "Um, Devin, since you told me what's going on with you and Ricky and Mike and everything, I think it's only fair I tell you something kind of... Important."

"You know I love dirt." I teased. "But you don't have to."

"No, no. I should. This place is dangerous and someone needs to know, incase something happens to me. You just have to promise it stays between us." He said.

"Chris, I promise. Who am I even going to tell?" I replied, smiling to reassure him.

"Yeah, okay. True. Um, the reason Angelo protected me the way he did when I was in hiding is because..." Chris took a deep breath, letting it out slowly. "We were having an affair together. We still are..."

Did I just hear him right? I looked over at him like he was nuts and he sighed. Chris' OCD kicked in because he got nervous and he started organizing everything on the table. I was beyond surprised but so much more made sense now. This is why they were so fucking close. That's why Angelo would turn down any sexual advances I or another inmate would make on him. This is why Chris would protect him at any cost, and the reason the prison tried to separate them when they could. It all made so much more sense now.

I grabbed Chris' hands because watching him fidget like that was driving me insane. He looked up at me with distress in his eyes. "Chris, it's fine." I let go of his hands as I continued. "I'm shocked, but I understand. You two make a good couple."

"Really?" He gawked, fighting a smile.

"Really." I grinned warmly. "Just promise me one thing?"

"What?"

"If we ever get out of here, promise me you'll marry him. You deserve to be together."

He got the most childish smile just thinking about it. "Trust me, I've already promised myself that."