Chapter 24 | Motel

It felt like we had been driving forever. Ricky and I would switch off between who was the one driving and who was the one sleeping. Right now I was the one behind the wheel, while he laid down in the back seat. We both tended to keep the radio on while we drove because it kept us awake. Plus, we occasionally would hear a news report on ourselves or our friends. Just as I think this, now becomes one of those times.

I turn up the radio only a little bit, as not to wake Ricky, and hear a male reporting speaking. "We're here with one of the detectives on the case of the missing Graham inmates. Tell me, detective Grey, how many detectives are working on this case?"

"We initially only had one of PA's units on the case, but we've become aware that many of them have made it out of the state. There is a unit to two units investigating this in every state." She responded. "Many people think this is too much, or a waste of manpower, but understand that these are highly dangerous criminal masterminds. Not to mention, serial killers. So far we've had upwards of twenty five recent deaths throughout the US that we believe are linked to this case."

"Could you go into more detail on these incidences?" He asked.

"Um, as much as I can with still respecting the families of the victims, yes." She said. "The first incident occurred in West Virginia. A female rest stop attendant was found with multiple bites in her shoulder. By the time the police found her, she had lost a significant amount of blood and the bites got infected quickly. She was rushed to the hospital and able to give us a description of her two attachers. Unfortunately she died of infection hours later. Three other victims were found shot dead on the scene; two young girls and a middle aged man. We were able to recover cell phone footage off of one of the girl's IPhones of Michael Kuza, one of the escaped, attacking the attendant. This footage confirmed the attendant's story and her identification of Kuza at the scene."

"Do you know who the other attacker was?" The interviewer asked.

"The attendant told us the attackers looked similar. This leads us to believe it was Christopher Cerulli, but we don't have any evidence to support this." She answered.

"I see," He said. "and the other incidences?"

"A diner here in PA was set on fire recently. Nine bodies were collected in totals from the fire. Some of the victims were found bound, and others with bullet wounds, which leads us to believe they were tortured before the diner was lit on fire. We have multiple suspects for this one, all of which are some of the escaped killers. And just this morning, we found several beheaded bodies piled in the lobby of a Utah motel. We don't have very many details on this case, but we do know it fits the M.O. of Joshua Balz and his partner, Ryan-Ashley Malarkey."

"With this many criminals, at least one of them had to have had family or friends on the outside." The reporter commented.

"Many criminals like these, they have become estranged to their families. We did interview Cerulli's previous girlfriend, whom he had beaten and almost killed, but she didn't have any information that was of use to us. The woman who had helped police catch Devin Sola, we've been having trouble finding but we do plan to try to find her and see if she can help us yet again. A man named Nick Rossi, who was involved in many of the infamous New Years Day bank robberies, was asked to assist us but refused to get involved. Vinny Mauro's father, whom is currently serving time in Graham, was brought into questioning. He didn't have much information useful to us. The only lead we've gotten was, we brought Cerulli's ex-accomplice in for questioning. He gave us a few leads that we're looking into."

Yeah, a few leads that will send you on a wild goose chase. I hope they've let Angelo go and stopped watching him. He and I both were worried they'd keep eyes on him for a while. Because of that, I told him to wait a long while before he came out to join us. Well, at least Vinny and Ryan have managed to keep themselves out of trouble for the time being. I can't believe Mike was that sloppy though! Fucking idiot better not get the rest of us in trouble.