Chapter 49 | Hello Again

"Devin," The Warden spoke upon entering my room, "There's some agents here to speak with you."

"I'm guessing I don't have a choice in the matter?" I asked as I slipped my bookmark into my book.

"Unfortunately not." He replied.

Warden Berge and I have surprisingly become friends in a weird sort of way. I understand that he just wants inmates that behave, and he understands all I ask in return is to see my friends once and a great while. He opened up the iron gate and I offered my wrists to him to be cuffed. Four other guards waited outside to help escort me.

Agents. What kind of agents? Of course my first thought was federal agents, AKA the FBI, AKA that organization my ex-boyfriend works for. I swear if he's there I'll... I'll... I'll do nothing. I can't do anything. My hands are retrained and I don't want to ruin my good rep. Yeah, I want to strangle him, but it's not the smartest idea.

It took me a month of crying. A month. I have gotten past my depression though, and now I'm just pissed at him. He used me more than I ever knew possible. I was nothing but a fucktoy for months, and now probably a joke to his buddies in the break room. Not to mention a huge brag for him that he bagged some of the most wanted men and women in the world. And it's all my fault that I let him. Mike was more right than he knows.

So far I've had two chances to visit the guys. The first I used to see Chris, and the second I used to visit Angelo. I have yet to go see Mike, but that's who I planned to visit next. I owe him a huge apology. If I would have just said yes one of the millions of times he asked me out, this would have never happened. Damn it.

I was sat down in a plain room. There was a steel table in front of me. I was chained down to the handles of the chair, and told to wait on the mysterious agents. A few moments later, the door opened. First in walked a blond woman wearing a white dress shirt and blue slacks. Then, behind her, was that fucker. I wanted to come out of my skin seeing him. At the same time, I wanted desperately to kiss him. My mind was more twisted and conflicted than it ever has been before. I just stared at him, studying the way he looked.

He's built his muscle mass back up. His arms were pretty built for his small frame. He had a bulletproof vest on over a black tank top. The letters FBI were on his vest in yellow, and his badge hung from a necklace over it. Damn, he looked hot. Am I seriously getting attracted to a fed? Yeah, sadly.

"I've got nothing to say to you. I trusted you. I thought you loved me." I muttered.

He sighed, "April, may I speak with him alone?"

"Of course, Sir." She responded and left the room.

"Sir?" I questioned, "I thought she was your boss."

Ricky sat down on the edge of the table, "I'm her boss, actually. Listen, I know you're pissed at me, but I want you to know it wasn't all a lie. I really do love you."

"You must have a real fucked up concept of what love it, then. When you love someone, you don't lie to them. What were you after?" I scoffed.

"I was originally sent to Graham to profile you for a while. Then, you created that plan to break out and I realized you were more intelligent that I was lead to believe by my superiors. You've got the mind of a genius, but you're as sick as the Devil himself. I know I let it get out of control but I couldn't stop myself from keeping it going just a little longer to keep watching you. You're like nothing I've ever seen before." He spoke in amazement, but it honestly only made me feel like a zoo animal.

"I'm still human and I deserve to be loved just like everybody else. True love, not trickery like what you did to me." I replied.

He stood back up and leaned over the table. Ricky put his hand under my chin to lift my head. Our eyes met and he said, "I know two things as fact. One: You, Devin Sola, are not human. Two: I love you, but I had to do my job."

"I'm done listening to your lies." I mumbled as I tried to look away.

He redirected my head again with his hand. Ricky leaned over and kissed me. For some stupid reason, I kissed back. It felt so good, so genuine. It was like an explosion along our lips. As he pulled away, he responded, "You still love me too." Ricky stood back up straight, "But I'm not here to discuss our person situation."

He walked over to the door and let the other fed back in. They muttered words to each other before reproaching the table. A file was set down in front of me, but I just stared at them because my hands were tied.

"Do you remember that conversation we had about zombies?" Ricky asked.

I glanced at the file, then to him, "Yeah, but it was just Mike being paranoid and Ryan with his stupid conspiracy theories, right? Right?!"

"Unfortunately not." April responded, "Though they aren't exactly zombies by scientific terms, that's pretty much what they are. The Government was harboring several weaponized virus strands. One had a breakout, and now over half of Nevada is full of zombies."

"Boarders have been closed, but we can't just bomb the towns to destroy the problem. I mean, you're talking billions in clean up and rebuilding. On top of it, we have reasons to believe there's still humans stuck there." Ricky added.

"Why are you telling me all of this?" I asked.

"Because, our soldiers don't want to fight this war. They just are vicious enough for it, but you are." He said, "We're willing to offer you freedom if you're willing to be a martyr."

"Let me get this straight." I replied, "You want me to go into a zombie wasteland to kill all the zombies and rescue any survivors?"

April nodded, "Exactly. We will provide you with weapons, and if you survive, you can be set free."

I leaned back in my chair and crossed my legs, "I'll do it, for a price."

"What more do you want other than freedom?" She scoffed.

Ricky waved his hand towards her to tell her to stand down. "Name your price."

"I'm not doing that shit alone. I want the others to come in with me, and for them to be offered the same freedom." I told him.

"We can do that."

"And, I want you to set us all up with living arrangements and funds. No one will be hiring ex-murderers. I want you to pay for Angelo and Chris to get married too, give Ryan his old job back, and provide Vinny with some federal protection from his father's men. Give Mike his Camaro back. Also I want you to give Balz and Ryan-Ashley their dogs back, and make sure they end up in a nice cabin in the woods."

He sighed, "Is that all?"

"One more thing. I want you to come fight with us. That way I get to watch you die if you get killed." I seethed.

Ricky narrowed his eyes at me, "Fine. Enjoy your last night of sleep here. You're leaving in the morning."

I smiled, satisfied. He wasn't all too happy at the joy I was getting out of this. After all he put me through, he can kiss my ass. He owes me, a lot. Now, about that whole fighting zombies thing... Oh shit, what did I just agree to?