♦05♦ - Custody

I couldn't explain how violated I felt when I had called my parents to tell them that I had possibly landed a job. My father was hooting in the background like a drunkard who had just heard the funniest joke of all time while my mother scolded me and told me 'I better not be lying.'

Parents: They tell you to get jobs but then tease you when you land one.

So since I was still practically robbed from last night, hunting for a "formal ensemble," like Mikaela suggested I do, was going to be the death of me. I was helpless, so I just wore the shirt Eustis gave me again. As for pants, the only ones I had were the slightly torn ones from yesterday with the coffee stains, so I was impotent there as well. Before I knew it, I used the very last bit of money I had to literally rent half of an ensemble for ten dollars. If that didn't scream struggle, then what did?

It was about fifteen minutes to nine when I eagerly caught another taxi back to the building of sophistication and seriousness that caused me great anxiety. I couldn't describe how terribly apprehensive I felt, my palms and everything sweating like I had just finished running a marathon. The last thing I wanted was to smell like shit before I got there, so I blasted the A/C and, for some strange reason, thought of some nature program I had watched awhile back on the way there.

Outside the building I was, eagerly clutching onto my nearly dead cellphone as I entered the large building. Just walking inside of there gave me a bad feeling, but I couldn't let the possible opportunity slip. Mikaela seemed to know what he was doing, anyways. All I had to do was show up.

Before I knew it, I saw Harvid round the corner from the elevator, him already giving me a nasty stare.

I avoided eye contact with him, awkwardly sitting on one of the chairs and pretending like I didn't even acknowledge his existence as I stared off. He couldn't do anything to me... right? Next thing I knew, he was sitting adjacent from me in the lobby, glaring at me. I peered up at him, then looked off again.

Juuuuust ignore him. Oh, wow, look at that dust bunny over there. Just kidding, this place is too pristine to have dust bunnies.

"I'm surprised," he began in his satanically deep voice. "No coffee today? A suit?"

I shrugged, trying to resemble his confident normal stance. "Yes, sir. I am here to see someone."

He raised an eyebrow, giving me an unbelievable stare. "You know you cannot see them, right?"

I tilted my head. "Why?"

"Because I have to expel you."

"Wait, what?"

Before I knew it, we were nearly in the same scenario as yesterday, him lifting me over his shoulder. I panicked, trying to get off of him. "Hey! Wait! I'm here to see someone - you can't expel me for that!"

"I was told you're not allowed back in here," he snapped, carrying me out of the lobby.

"I have an appointment, dammit! I'm here for a job appointment!" He was still carrying me closer and closer to the door. Then I remembered what Mikaela had told me to say if something like this happened. It's like he knew this was going to happen. "I'm here to see Jeunesse Mikaela Shindo!"

He paused, looking over his shoulder at me, furrowing his eyebrows. "Are you out of your mind, kid? You cannot see him, he's forbade to see-"

"Harvid," a familiar deep voice suddenly boomed from a speaker overhead. I froze, looking all around the building for who had suddenly emitted the voice. Was that Mikaela? That definitely had to be him. I sighed in relief, smirking at him smugly. "Bring him to my floor."