♦14♦ - Happy

"Come on," she told me, taking me by my wrist and pulling me to my feet harshly. She did not care for me and I knew of this. My tears dropped to the floor at the sudden motion. "You have somewhere to be after this."

Nasty. I was the nephew of a nasty woman.

I choked on my tears, gently pushing open the door. I completely broke down as I saw my mother.

"Mommy," I whimpered, walking over to her bed and instantaneously wrapping my arms around her as she did the same to me.

"Hi, my Mikaela..." she softly told me, her voice still beautiful. I still held her tightly, unready to face her directly. I held back my cries as best as I could, trying not to be loud in her ears. She slightly chuckled, rubbing her hand up my back. "I missed you too."

I gently pulled away, looking into her soft, pale face. I saw my resemblance in her, although she was far more beautiful than I would ever be. I timidly brushed the loose blonde hairs out of her face, forcing a frail smile.

"You look beautiful," I complimented through a cracked voice. I said it like nothing were wrong, like she were not slowly slipping from me on the bed. I climbed onto the bed with her, holding her tightly in my arms. I knew they would abandon me from the bed, but then, I needed to hold her and be near her.

"Good, I washed my face extra longer today," she joked, making me slightly chuckle. "You smell amazing, my dear." Her fingers slipped through my hair.

I slightly shook my head, propping myself up on my elbow. I stared into her gentle, exhausted face, her slightly fading blue eyes, but still saw that familiar happiness to see me still reflecting strong. The cannula for her nose glinted in the sunlight, slightly reflecting off of my face.

"How... How is everything?" she asked as she weakly sat up straighter. I rested my head on her chest, looking up at her.

"I am alright, mommy, do not worry about me. How are you?" I weakly smiled, but it faded as she peered up apathetically at the banal ceiling. She took a deep breath. Then she looked back down at me and shrugged.

"That is how it's been. I stare at the ceiling all day in this room," she gave a weak chuckle, shaking her head slightly. "Occasionally, one of the kind staff members will take me for a walk. But they are nothing compared to you."

I felt her loneliness seep through my skin and affect my being. "Why?" I whispered. "Why must you let yourself sit like this?"

"Mikaela, I cannot do much," she explained to me through a laugh. "I am not allowed outside as much. Television has become my outside now. They always play nature programs for me when I cannot go out."

I rolled my eyes, pressing my forehead to her heartbeat. "Can we go out now?"

"I'm afraid not, Mikaela."

That was not an excuse to let her slip away in here with nothing but a talk from me. My mother was worth more than a trillion words, and I would never speak enough to clarify her importance to me. She was my everything, and I wanted her to see more of life. I did not know much about life myself or what it had to offer, only from what she had taught me, but I still wanted her to see those things again.

My problems were nothing compared to hers, therefore I did not complain. But she asked of me, and I told her the truth. "I am not doing as well as you would imagine."

"You tell me that often."

"Because it is true."

She held my hand. "Do not let it be."