♦22♦ - Agency

As modeling began to become my life, I did not grow as happy and worrisome as I was when my mother was around. I was aware of her sickness then, and I was only about to turn eighteen. Viníce took me into her custody since my mother could not anymore and I did not know my father.

I had left public school and began to do my schooling through books and technology that I could hardly comprehend. I was lucky to be intelligent enough to pre-graduate, pursued enough where I could complete the rest of my school on my own. School was nearly over as it was.

Then my agent began to introduce me to major modeling incorporations and how their systems work. There was Brandii, Haxton, 21 Bronze, and of course there was Poupeé Mystique, the biggest and most successful one of them all. That is the one my agent made the most suspicious.

I had modeled for many companies already, starting from children's attire since I was about seven or eight, then at that time, adolescents' clothing for all types of clothing when I was fourteen. At the time, I was only limited to men's wear, but there was a time where I wore a bright pink woman's shirt and my agents went ecstatic. That is when they explained to me how my androgyny would get me far.

How did that make sense? It did not. I wore a pink shirt and then suddenly I was body-gifted. Luckily, I did not work with those agents any longer, but I thank them for landing me where I am.

I discovered the true meaning of what my body held when I began to work for Poupeé Mystique. I wore strictly women's clothing, from tight leggings all the way down to the lines of thongs. That is when I truly discovered my androgyny. But it was always a part of me - just another thing my mother would want me to embrace. I never stressed on it.

But before all of that discovery, I remembered the day they called me. Well, they got to my agent first, then she put me on the line. My birthday was in a week, and I was already reading excited birthday plans from my mother that she mailed me from the hospital.

I answered the phone, wondering why my agent had ever signaled me for a call.

"Hello?" I curiously greeted into the phone, fiddling the envelope with my finger.

"Hello, Mikaela Shindo, right?" A deep dark voice had summoned me. At first, I believed it was another request to model elsewhere, but my agent would have introduced me to the offer and then we would have let business take its course.

No phone calls came directly to me. This was something very different.

"Yes," I replied, swallowing nervously.

"I am Eustis Stewart, nice to meet you. To introduce, I work for Poupeé Mystique as a headmaster; it is a quite popular attire incorporation." I remembered my eyes nearly popping out of my head when I heard that. I definitely heard of their company before, but I was just a mere admirer at the time. That is when I became a terribly anxious mess. This was the big ticket. "Along the way, I couldn't help but to stumble across a few of your recent projects, especially your recent adolescent attire shoots. Your profile and physique peak my interest amazingly. Usually, we never just call models for this kind of thing, really, but Mikaela? You have fed my eye the perfection it has craved."

I was sweating at that point, drowned in all of the compliments. I knew just how much this was worth, how crazy this phone call was. I was weak. How could I handle this? And do it in an ordered manner of some sort? I was so used to my agents handling such a thing!

"Oh, my, thank you! It is an honor," I shakily told him, my heart pounding excitedly.

My excitement that day still exhilarates me at the thought, but now knowing the outcome, it is not as strong. I was appreciated and loved, but I was silenced...

"How do you feel about coming to work with us? In a serious modeling agency? I can see your potential... Your confidence... Mikaela, we would be blessed to work with you!"

I nearly had a heart attack on the phone.

"Y-Yes!" I excitedly shouted, my hands trembling. "Yes! Yes! A million times yes! When should we schedule an appointment?"

"Well, why don't you come visit us in New York this Friday? We'll detail you direct traveling locations." It was like the man was intending to heal my ears.

If only I knew that day... That is all I can think of sometimes... What I had gotten myself into.

"Yes, please. I accept this amazing offer with extreme gratitude," I rambled, hearing his laugh on the other line. It was obvious that they were the company I had strived for. They were the golden nugget of all of the ones I had been offered.

And they were smarter. Much smarter.

"We'll see you soon, Mr. Shindo."