♦26♦ - A Gift

"Hi, mommy," I calmly said into the phone, smiling as I heard her chuckle.

"Mikaela!" she cheered. "How are you?"

"I am surprisingly great. But I am more concerned for you?" A familiar line I often said to her. Her wellbeing always came before mine.

"I am ecstatic - I received pudding today. From one of the attractive nurses, too," she joked, making my stomach queasy.

"My, my, mom," I exhaled, rubbing my temples. She laughed her beautiful laugh, the genuine sound that fueled me. "So, I must tell you about the gift I received in my job."

"Oh?" she chirped.

"Yes, his name is Yuichiro. He has done a great justice for me." I even felt enlightened mentioning his name.

She grew excited. "Is this about your new profession?"

"Yes - he models now in an almost replacement of me, and I work with the designers, now."

"Ah! Just look at my beautiful child growing into a successful little champ! So what do you do now?" She eagerly rambled.

"I help them assort which designs are sent to which models and if they should be pursuits or not," I explained to her, thinking of all the paperwork I still had to finish. My mother was far more important to me than some paperwork.

"My my my, look at you, Mr. Business."

A smile found its way onto my face as I gazed out the window in my room and pondered. "Hey, mommy... If someone you knew saved you from one of the worst things in your life, whether it be a memory or an ongoing pain... What would you do?"

She took a deep breath, a small laugh emitting from the other line. "Well, I'd give them all that I could. Whether it be gratitude, love, my food. Repay for what you think they deserve."

Yuu deserved the world. He deserved it all. He deserved every single bit of me that I obtained. I had to repay him.

"Thank you," I said, gazing up at the sky.

"No problem. So, are you excited to work with this Yuichiro?"

A smirk came to my face, the greatest excitement shrilling up my spine. "Oh, I am elated to."

And I was. Yuichiro, the strange boy from the suburbs who had spilled coffee on me, an amazing boy, had suddenly become my reason for doing what I did.

No gift could ever replace who he was.