Sun

WRITERS NOTE: listen to this song (vid above) while reading.

"And I can't give up on Kris, because you don't give up on love."
"Then why should I give up on you?"
"Because the person you love..loves someone else."
"What if Kris loved someone, will you leave him? And come to me?"
"I'll leave."

The sunset is really beautiful here isn't it? Sinking right into the lake. Isn't it unfair, how the sun is always there? Although we don't appreciate it, we don't pay attention, it always comes. How does it have the strength to come everyday to a place where no one notices it? And no one probably will.
"I wish I had your strength." I whisper to it. But more that that, I wish I could just sink with you.....and not come back. I don't have the energy to come back to a place where he doesn't notice me. And he never will.

I think about what I once told Ted at this same spot, 'I'll leave.' . But how can I go? When yesterday was like a dream. The farm, the paintball fight, the song we sang, his laugh, his smile.......which will never be mine.

Couple hours ago.

"It's me!" The strange woman says and runs to Kris. He embraces her with a smile and bright eyes, "you're here? I was gonna pick you at the airport."
"My flight was earlier. Thought I'd surprise you." She beams.
"It worked." He says and reaches in for a kiss but she backs away saying "Ahem!"
"Since when were you that rude? Not even introducing us." She hits him and turns to me.
"I'm April, Kris's girlfriend. And you are?" She asks with a smile, I want to smile back but....I can't.
".....I'm David..." I shake her hand, "Kris's....assistant."
"Pleasure to meet you. I hope my Kris hasn't been giving you a hard time."
"Enough! Are you here to meet her or me?" He says and carries her to the kitchen, there they both sit and chat.

They look so happy together. Kris has a wide smile which I've never seen before, even his eyes, which he hasn't taken off her, are smiling.

I can hear their loud laughter, their jokes. I can see their touches, the way he kisses her. I should move. I shouldn't stare, but my body doesn't budge. Look at her. She's so pretty. Thin with the perfect body figure, small face in a V line, smooth skin, sparkly eyes, her makeup is just right and her auburn hair falls in perfect waves over her shoulders. She's Korean so she must've met him there. How many years have they been together? How did they meet? Why do you care David? You should just leave.

I put the bouquet on the bar table and leave.

The sun has already sunk and I drowned in my dry tears that never fall. I should be happy for him.......he's finally smiling naturally and acting like a human. I walk to the lake and scream! Why? Why should I be happy?
"AAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!"
"You'll scare all the birds away." I see Ted walking over to me.
"What birds? There's none here."
"You never know." He says and leans on the railing, "I guess you found out......about April."
How does he know? "You know her?"
"She's Kris's first love, of course I know her."

First love..........

"Why didn't you tell me?" I shout, "You knew how I felt about Kris!" I don't know why but I start hitting his chest, "Why didn't you tell me he was already in love?"
"I was sure he would fall in love with you like I did." He says hugging me, trying to calm me down.
"I should let him go." I whisper into his chest, "I...should let.....him....go. Why? I love him."
"It's because you love him.....you should let him go." He tightens his arms on me, "People are always selfish like this. They never notice what's in front of them, but only go for the unreachable. Nothing's ever enough, people want more and more."
I finally get a hold of myself and look at him "I don't think you're like that Ted. I think you're the only person that's like the sun."
"I'm very selfish David." He tells me, "Although, we're friends and I can hold you like this......It's not enough."
I know what he means. Though, I spend most of my time with Kris, it's not enough. I want us to be in a way we'll never be.

"Hey if you'll be a good girl and stop sulking I'll call the fireflies." He says slightly pushing me.
"Really?" I ask suddenly getting excited, and he nods. I immediately plaster a smile on my face and he takes out his flute. A soft tune begins to play and my body relaxes. The image of Kris and April together keeps popping in my head and I feel pain. I hate this feeling. I hate the fact that he smiles at her. But I don't hate him.....his smiling face flashes like a lightning storm in my mind. I don't hate you Kris. I think I can let you go.
The fireflies suddenly appear and I am whisked away into another world. Free from thoughts. Free from Kris.

"Want me to drive you home?"
"No thanks. I'm going to a friend."
"Suit yourself." He says opening the car door.
"Wait!" I call to him and he stops, "How did you know I was here?"
"I just felt like you would be."
"Is that your power? You can sense where people are?" I ask curiously.
"Nope."
"Then what is it?" I whine.
"Can't tell you yet."
"Why?"
"Anyway, how are you feeling now?" He changes the topic.
"It's all okay now. I can let him go now." I say with a smile.
"It's not okay! You can't let him go! You can never fully let go of someone you truly love. Trust me, I know. So stop lying to yourself." He gets in and drives off.

I know Ted. I know.

I knock on the door and wait for it to open. Please be home! Please! The door swings open and-
"Diane."