Strange Caller

Sometimes we get hurt and cry, but sometimes those who caused our tears are hurting even more.

Maybe it's just a dream? Maybe I read wrong? Maybe he means something else?

I've been staring at my phone since last night. This text can't be true. It doesn't make sense! I need to get to the bottom of this. That is why I came to his house and have been waiting by his doorstep. If he really is home, then by now he should be leaving for work.

(PLAY THE SONG)

Just as that thought crosses my mind, I hear the clicking sound of the front door unlocking and there he is. Dressed in navy blue pants, a white shirt with a long cut exposing his chest a little below the collarbones, and white blazer to complete his suit. His hair is dyed black and falls over his eyebrows completely covering his perfectly shaped forehead.

 His hair is dyed black and falls over his eyebrows completely covering his perfectly shaped forehead

My eyes brighten and the urge to hug him rushes up my spine. I control it of course by squeezing my knuckles tight and taking in a deep breath.

"Hey," he says nonchalantly and closes an open button on his blazer.

"Hi," I say gulping hard. My heart is beating really fast and my head feels dizzy.

"Is there something you need?" His gaze lands on my eyes but it doesn't seem to hold any emotion behind it.

"Was it you who sent the text?"

"Yeah." He says simply. How can he be like this? I tighten my grip on my phone. How can he stand here without the slightest care?

"It was fun though?" I tilt my head taking a step forward, "I think we should stop here?" My voice filled with mockery as I continue to step closer to him, "You haven't seen me in 2 years and that's what you have to say?"

"What did you expect?" His question makes me stop in tracks, and I suddenly hear a woman's laugh.

"You said you'd wait," April comes out of his house smiling widely. Upon seeing me she gasps, "Oh! David!" It looked like she wanted to hug me but held back, reading the atmosphere. "I'll see you later," she waved me a 'bye' and drove away in her car.

"What is the meaning o-of this?" I stutter feeling the blood boil in my body, "This-this text? April-"

"IT'S WHAT IT IS!" He yells, "I'm breaking up with you David. I did long ago, just couldn't tell you because you were in jail," he emphasizes the word 'jail' and I can feel my legs lose their strength. I feel like any second now I could fall.