Engagement Party

How do I live?
How do I breathe?
When you're not here, I'm suffocated
I wanna feel love, run through my blood.
Tell me is this where I give it all up....
For you

-Sam Smith, Writings on the Wall

Dress up in sexy lingerie and lie on the bed, buy him front row basketball tickets, cook his favorite food, invite his friends over, throw a party, act cute, call him and actually apologize.......

........the f*ck are all those? Like hell I'm gonna do that! I'd rather bite off my leg than act cute! I don't even want to talk about the lingerie, da hell am I? A prostitute? I'm not doing this, I'll sleep, better.

That's what Diane thought to herself, however a knock was sounded on Bradley's door that night. It was a knock loud but quick. One might think that the amount of time Bradley took to open his door, was as if he'd been expecting someone.

His sharp eyes catch the peculiar object placed at his feet almost immediately and he picks it up. Smiling to himself while examining the can of beer in his hand. On it, no note was left, no words were written except a small scribble on the back of the can.

'For U'

"Couldn't give it to me yourself?" Bradley purposely raises his voice looking to his left. Where behind the corner........

.............stood Diane cringing. Probably cursing herself for being stupid enough to stay until he actually came out.

Silence sways in the air and a minute later, slowly, and shyly, Diane emerges from the corner and awkwardly makes her way towards Bradley. Who's leaning on one of the walls with his arms crossed.

Keeping a meter's distance between them, she looks at him expecting to hear something but as he just stands there, she droops her head and takes a deep breath.

"Look.....I....am....not good.....at this...," she once again steals a glance at him and seeing his face getting cross as well, bites her tongue wishing to disappear. "I'm sorry," she honestly blurts out, "I've been ignorant, and careless, and a total b*tch.....and I'm sorry."

She squeezes her eyes tight, not able to face him anymore from the embarrassment, and hears footsteps. Opening her eyes, however, she sees him walking past her and closer to the edge of the roof. Placing his arms and leaning on it he sighs.

"After I escaped The Code, I discovered my family left the country. No body knows where they went," he explains as I approach and lean on the railing next to him, "David says she found my mom."

"That's great!" Diane exclaims looking at him excitedly while he stares at the night sky, "You can have your m-"

"What if it's not her!" Bradley frustratingly interrupts Diane looking her straight in the eyes with his red watery ones. "I've been alone since 5, until David was taken in. As long as I can remember, she was my only family. And when The Code fell apart, I lost her." His expression looks more hurt with every word he says, "I was once again alone, searching for my family....for her. But what if this 'woman' isn't who she says she is?" He turns back to the railing, "I don't want to lose my family again and again..... I don't want to be alone."