Abdonment 101

I was doing homework on his couch when hearing his door unlock, and he entered. I stood and he froze, staring at me. I tried to keep a straight face, but it was honestly impossible as I broke into a smile, and jumped onto him in a hug and squealed. "Chris! It was- He- He- Oh, I love you, Charlie," I laughed in happiness as he carried me, hugging me back in shock and confusion, because I tried to explain to him that things were okay. That I could see him without being hated from someone, and that I gained permission. I wanted to tell him all of it, but I was on happiness overload, I couldn't speak.

"What? What's going on, Diana? How'd you get here?"

"Chris." I finally spoke calmly when he set me down, and he grabbed my face, reading my happiness and looking like he was ready to feel the same. "Chris- he- he said he's okay with us. Well, he said he thinks it's really weird, but he confronted Austin right in front of me, and told him that they shouldn't be keeping us from each other."

"Took the asshole long enough." Charlie muttered, and I hit his arm, having him apologize. Charlie then looked confused, as if he didn't believe what I was saying. But it was the truth, and his shock seemed to overwhelm him, much like the day he probably had. I wanted to know what happened with his father, but he and I were in a different situation. 

He kissed me. 

Old fashioned, hair gripping, classic dipping me over kiss, and he was definitely as happy as I was.

Charlie's phone rang, and I laughed, telling him to go ahead. He checked the caller ID and answered carelessly, "I can't talk right now dad, call me in about an hour." And he ended the call, picking me up and rushing over to his room.

"Dad? An hour? Jesus, what are you doing to me?" I laughed as he threw me onto his bed and undressed me.

Charlie was right- with all that excitement, an hour was definitely needed.

...

"You know that with your GPA, how late you send your applications won't matter too much." Connor told me when we were at his house the next day, talking about college. 

Right as I was about to reply, Cole burst through the door, throwing his stuff on the ground as if he lived there, and looked at us all. "You won't believe what a shit day I've had."

"My day was great." I said back, seeing him flatly look at me, but a smile betrayed his irritation with me. "What happened?"

He groaned loudly, and Erin threw him the expensive wine she had and he looked at it. "Not strong enough." And he threw it back, going to fetch something stronger from Connor's parents' liquor cabinet, coming back as he took a painful looking gulp and plopped beside Erin on the floor. "So, I was going to apply to Stanford, right?"

"I thought you did apply to Stanford?" Connor interjected, and Cole told him to shut the fuck up and let him talk, so Connor rolled his eyes and took the liquor from his friend.

"My counselor called me in today to tell me I got expected into Sanford."

"That's great, Cole!" Erin began, but Cole cut her off with true irritation.

"Not Stanford. Sanford. I forgot the fucking T."

The three of us went quiet, trying to process what he had just said, and Erin was the first to burst into laughter. "Oh my god, you fucking idiot."

I couldn't help it, I laughed, too. Along with Connor, who continuously accused Cole of being a dumbass. Cole was pissed, so I crawled over to him and gave him a hug, but couldn't control my laughter at the same time. He didn't hug me back. "I'm so so- so sorry, Cole." I said between heavy breaths of laughter, and he glared, taking the liquor back from Connor and taking another burning gulp. I laughed, feeling light and happy again. My poor friend's situation was hilarious. Erin hugged him as well, and Cole just sat bored and annoyed.