Every High Has A Come-Down

I was almost fast asleep when Austin softly knocked and entered my room, sitting on the side of my bed with the lit hallway spilling light into my room. He pat my shoulder and I squinted my eyes up at him.

"I'm proud of you, Diana." Was the first thing he said to me. "I know I'm hard on you, and I'm sorry for that. I don't know what you're going through, but you must've really loved him if you let him marry someone else."

I stared up at him, his face blurry and my sleepy eyes watering. I took his hand, feeling the power of his brotherly love, and I felt content. "You did good, today." He told me.

"I love you, Austin." I said, my sleepy voice almost silent.

He smiled my favorite smile on him. The little goofy boy I saw in him, the look of pride in being part of our family. "Love you, Dye."

"Promise you'll always love me." I said tiredly, softly, halfasleep.

"I'll always love you, I promise. You're my sister." He said in quiet amusement.

"Promise you'll always accept me, and try to understand why I do the things I do."

He looked confused, but still amused as if speaking to a child. "I promise. Goodnight."

I smiled back at him and closed my eyes, hearing him walk away.

"Good...night."

...

When I woke up, the house was close to empty. The only ones left, James and Chris.

I hadn't yet realized that it was a school day, and was getting sad seeing Charlie was gone.

"Hey, where are you going?" James asked as I rushed down the stairs in lazy leggings and a tshirt.

"School," I answered passively.

"I'll take you," He told me, grabbing his keys, and I was about to accept, too. But then I thought of Charlie.

"That's nice, James, but I was gonna pick up some things from Erin's house after."

He shrugged. "Alright, call if you need anything, I'm not working today."

"Neither am I." Chris said from the couch.

I nodded, turning to run out the door while shouting, "Alright, thanks, love you guys," and barely made it on time to school.

I honestly should not have gone, because I was everyones target. I don't mean that in a negative way, I mean it in a way... That has me as the uncomfortable center of attention. Normally it wouldn't be as bad, I would still be uncomfortable, but this was the subject of my father. Some was Andy, but at the moment, mostly my father.

"I'm sorry for your loss, Diana." They each said everytime I passed by, always giving me a hug. I was so frustrated.

"Thanks, Thank you, Okay- yeah- thanks-" It got to the point to where I hid in the bathroom for a while, waiting until the bell rang to get to each class. I practically sprinted to Mr. Grant's room when lunch began. Unfortunately he wasn't there, but idiotically left his room unlocked. I assumed he was in a meeting, and sat at his desk, spinning around.

I spun, closing my eyes and trying to recall what it was like the very first time he looked at me with those eyes. The first time he laughed with me, smiled at me, the first time he thought I was beautiful. I wondered when that was. What about the first time he realized he was attracted to me? When was that? Did he ever think about me in the shower, or in his bed before we were together the way we were? Did he ever get himself off thinking about me? I wasn't sure how long I was spinning, but soon a strong hand gripped the chair tight and I jolted back into reality. My eyes opened, seeing sideways, upside-down, rightside-up, Charlie spinning all over the place. I groaned, leaning forward to press my fingers to my eyes to ease the dizziness.