Last Goodbye

I screamed.

... will be there March 31st. I won't leave you ever again...

I sprinted up the stairs for my phone and called Bailey as soon as I could, since he was the first person I thought of.

He answered almost immediately. "You're on speaker." Was the first thing he said, sounding a little serious and distracted. For a second I thought he was working, but in the background heard as Chris spoke to Claire and Austin ask who was on the phone. Bailey cursed out the name Chance and I realized he was playing video games. I heard as he paused it.

I couldn't contain my excitement, and for the first time in a long time, Charlie's presence didn't affect me all that much. Nothing would ruin my mood that day. I screamed again, just feeling so good with the breeze picking up and twirling outside. The sun felt amazing.

"What the hell-" Bailey began, but my laugh cut him off.

"You know there's something called being overly happy, right?" James' voice came from the back.

"Yeah, it's called drugs." That was Tyler's voice.

But I wasn't paying attention.

"He's coming!" I screamed. "He's coming, Bails, he's coming!!" I screamed so loud, the birds joined me.

"What?" Austin's voice said, suddenly attentive and stern.

"Dad!" I laughed. "Oh Audie, I got his letter today. He's coming at the end of March."

It was almost silent from the other line, and I waited with a big stupid grin on my face for them to speak.

Chris broke the short silence. "Really?" It was almost a whisper.

I squealed again, remembering the last time I felt close to as good as that was with Charlie. When I finished his book shelf. He was just as happy.

The feeling of my father coming back felt twice as good. "Yes! Guys...-." I slowed down and suddenly skin felt on fire. The good kind of on fire. The letter, oh god he's not leaving me this time! "For good! We have him back for good!"

"What did he say??" Bailey asked eagerly.

"He said he was never going to leave me. He said he would be back to stay." I laughed, "I'm so happy." and suddenly I heard as my brothers turn into teenage partiers on the other line.

I didn't know what to expect, but I wasn't disappointed when I heard their shouting and whooping and laughter. There were a couple thumps and I knew they were probably tackling each other like animals.

"I can't believe it!" Austin shouted, and it took a while for them to calm down.

I was sitting on the ground, in the walkway to my front door and took in the beautiful colors of the sky and closed my eyes, listening to the music the birds fed me.

"What's that noise?" I think it was Tyler.

"Birds." I answered.

"You're outside?"

"It's a beautiful day." I sighed out, so relaxed and content. I could fall asleep like that.

"Are you sure she's not on something?" Tyler asked, sounding a bit muffled.

No one answered him, instead the guys spoke of my dad and I faintly heard as James said something to Charlie about the video game. It was quite easy to direct my attention elsewhere.

"Diana, come over." Austin said on the other line. He welcomed me kindly, and I felt Austin change into the kind and brotherly brother I once had. "We're at Chris' apartment."