Fast Forward

"Oh fucking god." Erin shouted in frustration the next day in the morning as I cried on the couch in her room. "He's such a fucking stubborn idiot, how's he gonna just sit there and tell you he won't wanna see you?" She came around and brought me a bottle of some fancy organic wine. Her dad was home and he told her not to take it because we were underage, but she snapped at him that it was boy troubles. Boy troubles. Hell, that's exactly what he was acting like, a fucking boy, a child.

I kept asking myself, how the hell was he going to just ignore me like that? I was seriously convinced he would like the idea of I-miss-you-sex, it sounded great to me.

"Here, want me to ask them to make some of those french macarons?"

I cried harder as Andy's face popped into my mind. "Andy used to buy me macarons every Saturday. And on his trips from France." I groaned, feeling her watchful eyes on me.

"Dye... who are we crying over?" She asked in confusion.

I was crying over Charlie and how damn difficult and selfish he was, but also I was crying about how I have no choice but to pretend Andy no longer meant anything to me, to pretend I no longer love him, and it was so painful. This restricting the truth, I felt a physical restriction in my chest as I breathed just thinking about it. And then I felt terrible remembering how Charlie was angry at me for leaving. It would just be so easy if he was happy for me.

I told Erin that, why I was crying.

"I'm fine. No macarons, I should just go home. Thanks, though, I love you."

"Well- at least take the bottle with you, you can drink the entire bottle and not get a headache, because it's organic." She said energetically. I smiled, still crying and she led me out the door, and even though I didn't believe her I was still going to take that entire bottle down.

Opening the gate to her front door stood Toby, with a hand full of roses. He looked at me face and his eyes widened in worry. "Are you alright, Diana?"

I wiped my face and looked at him as he stood before my best friend's house with flowers and a flushed face. I actually smiled. "What are you-" 

"What the hell?" Erin's voice came from behind me, coming out to see Toby, and his face flushed darker. I bit my lip to hold in a laugh. 

I knew it.

"Erin! Hey." He said casually, but he seemed every least bit of casual as he stood there.

"Hold on," She told him and pulled me toward her, me holding the bottle of wine. "Do you want me to talk to him?" She meant Charlie.

I shook my head. "It'll only make him even more angry."

"Then I'll knock some sense into that asshole, don't cry over him now, do it in front of his face. You know how he gets when he makes you sad." She chuckled, and I rolled my eyes, thanking her again and before walking out, Toby grabbed my arm.

"Wait, who?" He demanded.

I smiled at him again. "See ya, Toby." And walked off.

"Diana, are you seeing someone?" His demand echoed into Erin's house, but I ignored him and drove to my house.

Walking through the door and sobbing again. No one was home, so I just invited Connor over and got drunk that afternoon, having him get drunk with me. I cried a lot, but only because my emotions were a fucking mess.

"He'll go crazy when you're gone, Dye. He'll miss you like crazy and he'll beg to see you when you're back."

My drunk self replied, "No he won't. He'll miss me but he's too stubborn to give in. He'll be too angry to really want to see me."