Safe Keeping

Oh.

Is this what a heart attack feels like?

I stared back at Charlie who had just said the words I never thought I'd ever hear from him. I didn't know what to do. I knew one thing, though, I felt so good saying it all. I felt so good hearing those words from him.

Then I thought deeply. He wanted me, but did he truly love me? Or was he just saying that?

As if reading my thoughts, he laced his fingers through mine as he used to, and spoke like he had when we were together. "I'm not just saying it."

I looked at him in surprise, and he suddenly gave me that gentle smile of his. "I'm in love with you, Diana."

He said it again.

"I love you," He whispered, saying it for the third time, before capturing my lips in his.

I wasn't even sure what to think as I awkwardly sat there and allowed him to kiss me. I then kissed him back, not thinking of anything for the next minute, then I remembered. I wasn't going to allow him to do this to Claire. I pulled back, "I- uh-" I had no idea what to say.

"What is it?"

"I don't want you to hurt her." I said shyly, feeling the honesty leak out by a sudden habit.

"You have the warmest heart on earth, you know that?" He sighed, pleading me with his eyes. "I'll take care of that, please don't over think things-"

His front door was swung open and Charlie and I turned to face his sister, who froze seeing us. Charlie's hands fell to his sides, and I wasn't prepared to hear that man's mean voice. Savannah looked around, as if searching for something.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" The man at my side demanded.

Savannah seemed to not worry the slightest about him talking, and looked at him as if he hadn't said a word. "Where are they?" She asked.

Charlie and I looked at each other, me probably looking incredibly clueless. He looked back at his sister and furrowed his brows. "Who?"

"Mom and Claire!" She answered in frustration, shutting the door and stepping in, looking around again.

"What?" He asked her like that would be the stupidest thing to ask. "How the fuck should I know?"

Savannah stopped walking and turned to him in a serious manner, "Because they're supposed to be here?"

"No they aren't, what are you-"

"Their cars are parked up front."

I froze completely in worry. This probably made me look worse to his mother, kissing a man who was in a relationship. Charlie only clenched his fist and said again, "What?" In venom, in anger.

"They're supposed to-"

She stopped talking and we all heard the sound of someone's worried voice back from Charlie's room. He strode with that hard and scary face and Savannah and I peaked from the corner. He pulled open the door to his room, and revealed Claire and Karla, Claire speaking worriedly, and Karla looking stern. They froze and turned. Claire gasped, "Chance, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to eavesdrop, we only came to surprise you. I was going to leave, but Karla-"

Charlie didn't listen and had his mean face on. "What the fuck do you not know about privacy?" He shouted, causing me to jump. Savannah put her hand on my shoulder soothingly.

"Chance," His mother began,

"No, get out." He bellowed, and Claire seemed to shy back, but his mother almost seemed used to it.