Tutoring Sesh No.1

It was silent between us, and I didn't looked at him. But when I dared to, he was leaning against the window, his right arm supported himself against it. I would have thought he looked really hot, if it wasn't for the steam coming through his ears.

He was trying to keep it all in. All his anger. When I checked the time, it was way passed my detention time. So I got up and spoke carefully. "Well.. It seems about time I leave..." I said quietly and headed for the door.

Just when I thought I had made it out, the door slammed in front of me and Mr. Grant appeared from behind me. I jumped back in shock. "You have a tutor." He spoke venomously. His hand swept through his hair and he lowered himself to my level. "You have a fucking tutor?" It was low and angry.

I wanted to tell him he couldn't talk to me like that, but I was afraid. He scared me. His voice, his tone, his eyes, his stance. He stood like he was the animal- the lion. And I was the prey he would eventually pounce on and tear apart.

He pushed off the door and if I hadn't backed up he would have fallen right on me.

"A tutor.." He muttered to himself angrily. After moments of silence and angry pacing around the classroom he stopped in front of me. "Your parents are seriously okay with paying for tutoring when you're taught. You are taught. Everything. By me!" He shouted, and I flinched back.

He mentioned parents, and I dared to scoff. I didn't mean to, but he saw it and it made him even more angry. "What's so funny?" he asked lowly. I shook my head. Parents, what parents? I live alone, and my father rarely came home. I didn't have a mother.

He slammed his hand on the door behind me. I flinched again. "Diana, you and Mr. Joseph will no longer be in tutoring together."

"What? You can't do th-"

"I can." He shot at me. "I'll tutor you if you think I'm such a bad teacher. But don't worry. It's free." His voice grumbled. He just looked really mad and scary and I really didn't want to ever stay back with him again.

For the longest time he just stood there and watched me. It felt like he want me to attack him just so he could kill me. "Can I leave now?" I asked quietly.

He removed his hand from the door and opened it. I walked out calmly. But wanted to scream inside. I was so upset, and wasn't ready for my grades to drop.

At home my brothers were sprawled on my couch lazily, drinking and laughing and eating chips in my living room.

I pointed to Austin. "You." I said, and their heads snapped up to me innocently, mouths filled with chips. "Vaccum when you're done." And I walked up the stairs in exhaustion.

"What?" He said and began telling the other two to do it. They eventually got into a small argument. But I ignored it all, because I was tired of everything and just wanted to have everything normal. I've never had normal before.

...

I prayed for Thanksgiving break to hurry up. It was three more weeks, then we had an entire week off. I needed that week away from him. He was so awful. He wasn't even allowed to talk to me like he did.

I didn't know when he wanted my tutoring to be. I hoped he was only bluffing, but knowing him: he wasn't.

I tapped my foot restlessly on the last period. It was thursday and I was getting closer and closer to my detention. "Diana." Ryan called me and I looked at his cute face. "So, I never really understood your answer for Friday?"

"No, sorry." I told him, trying not to be too blunt, but he recovered quickly like I'd expect him too. I mean, he was one of the most popular guys at my school. Of course he would.

"Flip to page three-hundred-sixty-two in your textbooks and work problems twelve through forty." He wrote the same thing on the white board, then went to go sit down.

For the rest if the class we did that class work. It was hard, and about all of us seemed to be stuck on the exact same problem. None of us dared to raise our hands for help, so we just secretly looked at eachother miserably.

I took a second to remember my tutoring and figured it out, slowly but surely, and leaned my paper the slightest to show Ryan, where he showed the people around him and so on. It was sneaky, but Mr. Grant didn't see a thing.

Before everyone knew it, it was five minutes until school was over and he told us our textbook pages for our homework. I had to stay behind.

"You should probably take this time to do your homework." He told me after everyone left.

I did, and I stared at the problems and immediately began struggling. Who in this god forsaken world would choose to teach the most hated subject on earth?

I wasn't even sure it was the most hated subject on earth. I assumed it was, but then again I did have the most irritable teacher out there. He made it miserable for all of us.

After staring at the page for about ten minutes, I regretted it. A lot, because I soon found myself sitting right next to Mr. Grant.

He sat in the chair right beside me and looked down on me. "You haven't even worked one problem yet."

I felt my face grow hot with panic. He was too, uncomfortably close, and his tone was hard and mean. I just wanted to get out of that classroom. His classroom, particularly. "You seemed to get it in class." He snapped.

"Barely..." I mumbled. I never really mumbled to others. I never even avoided eye-contact like I was then. I was always an equal with whoever I talked to, that's what I believed at least.

Mr. Grant breathed out in frustration. "What's troubling you?" He asked the question like there couldn't possibly be anything that could be troubling, and like I was an idiot for it.

I no longer cared with him, at that exact point, I gave up on pleasing my calculus teacher- or trying to. I would never be a normal student to him, and I had no idea why. "Everything." I said hopelessly.

The reaction I expected from Mr. Grant was pure anger and aggravation, instead I got shock. He looked absolutely shocked to why I didn't understand a thing. I guess it was because he didn't know I could admit something like that, especially since I'd been pretty stubborn with convincing him that I understood everything he talked about because I didn't want him to find out about my tutoring. It was too late, so I no longer had that to lose. "Really?" He asked me, and now I was convinced he was about to kill me. I saw the anger flow back into his eyes and almost heard it in his voice.

I still looked away from him and down at the textbook and refused to say a thing. "Fine," I heard his angry voice mutter, and he reached over me to grab the textbook and a sheet of paper and began writing. "We'll start from the beginning."

It was annoying since he taught us this new lesson only a few days prior, and he expected us to follow everything he says after that. He rushed past those lessons so quickly, it was like we didn't even learn anything and everyday I asked myself why I had to be stuck with him as a teacher. "You don't understand anything, ask."

I nodded and finally looked at him. He look so livid I had to look back down. What a waste of his handsome face, to be someone so angry.

We went through the beginning, and he still rushed through it. I tried asking questions, but he went too fast, it was like I didn't even know which question to ask. I think he thought that if he understood it so well(since he was the only one who knew exactly what he was talking about) he thought we would somehow get this perfect understanding, just because he did.

When my detention time was finally up, he didn't say anything. He simply put everything we had away. He tried helping me on my homework, but technically he ended up doing it for me. We were at the front door of the school when he spoke to me. "We'll start your tutoring Monday." Then he left.

I kept to myself how we technically had our first session that day.