Whore

"Spend the night." Andy said when I grabbed my stuff to leave.

I sighed and looked at him, watching him lay back on his couch and look at me casually with a blanket covering him. "I don't have clothes... and-"

"You do, you left your overnight bag here from Erin's, remember?"

"My school stuff-"

"I'll take you to pick it up in the morning." He said and I began to smile at him knowingly, slipping off my jeans and getting under the covers with him.

He scooted me closer and turned down the television, adjusting himself to where he lay facing me. "Diana, do know if he's alive?"

I looked at him in question.

"Your dad."

I went awkward and looked down, having him take my hands. I saw he was about to take it back and say I didn't have to answer it, but I spoke before he could. "Yeah." I said, but after I did I waited. I waited for a silence that proved me right, that said I wasn't crazy.

"When was the last time you saw him?" He asked.

Bombarded with his questions, I snuggled close to him and he wrapped his arms around me. "I can't remember." When he hugged me tight I listened as he breathed quietly to sleep and I remembered.

I had lied to Andy.

I remembered the last time I saw him. I don't remember how long ago it was... But I remember sitting in the passenger's seat of his big bulky truck and dodging his quick hands as he tried to tickle me. He drove us to the airport that day, because he was leaving again. He promised me that Austin was going to take me home from the airport.

I was eleven.

"You're so beautiful, Diana Apollo, you know." He told me with a grin as I felt the sun blind my eyes. He loved saying my full name. He loved knowing it was from him and that I was the only one out of his four offspring who kept it.

I smiled at him and watched as we drove to the airport. A feeling in my gut came when we drove past that sign. DFW Airline Center. It was a drain of light and in an instant the sun was out again, but hiding from me. I tried not to close my eyes but I knew if I didn't it would be too bright. And I'd never be able to see that look he'd give me when he realizes how much I'll miss him.

When I watched him turn around and face me, backing up to the outer doors and security, he blew me a kiss. As he disappeared into the group of people and guards he mouthed three words that I think about every night. Only, it wasn't I love you, it was you'll do fine.

I knew when he said it, it didn't mean I'll be fine living on my own, but something much deeper than that. Something I often think about as being a possibility. I felt like he told me that because he knew how much I questioned my decisions. And his strength, but that was through the manipulative speak of my brothers. My father was strong, and he could do anything.

In Andy's arms I also drifted into sleep, comfortable and warm.

...

"Wake up." Andy nudged me softly.

I yawned and looked at him, his face was in mine. "Morning sunshine." I said blandly.

He chuckled and sat up, stretching widely and standing to help me to my feet. "Shower's yours." He told me and I went for it.

After getting dressed, I felt like I didn't need anything else to worry about so I watched him get ready. He looped his tie and around and adjusted it to comfort, looking into the mirror and noticing me directly after in the reflection.