I'm Like A Heat Wave

My ringtone was Girl I Wanna Lay You Down. With Jack Johnson and The Animal Liberation Orchestra. It sounded with them singing, 'I'm smooth and creamy like peanut butter.' Then went into the chorus.

My phone was in my bag, which was at a desk far away and Mr. Grant looked at me curiously. I got it, checking the caller ID, having it be a number I didn't know. I looked back at Mr. Grant as the song continued and he glared at me.

I answered it anyway. "Hello?"

"Is it weird I stole your number?" It was Andy. A smile found me and I turned away.

"It's a bit odd," I laughed quietly. "I'm busy right now, I can't talk." I told him apologetically.

"Oh, well I just called to flirt with you." He said. "I heard my brother has been a jerk."

"Yes."

"I'll knock some sense into him for you."

"Thanks," I smiled.

"Well, can I hit on you later, schoolgirl?"

"Yes, sir."

He hung up with a melodic laugh, making me feel fuzzy and warm in disbelief at how he called. And just to flirt with me.

I turned around, seeing Mr. Grant on his computer typing angrily. He hit one last button and looked up at me. "Are you done?" He growled.

I didn't know what came over me, maybe it was my hunger. "Are you always this angry?"

He furrowed in brows, not expecting that from me, but regained composure. "Don't talk to me like that."

"Well you do."

"I'm your superior, I'm allowed to." He snapped.

My stupid mouth wouldn't shut and I approached him slowly. "Is that what you think?" He was about to speak but I cut him off. "Do you know what a smile is? Do you even know how to act happy?"

His face turned red and I don't know why I would not stop talking. "Why are you always so angry all the time?"

He turned away from me and bounced his pen on his desk. "You're dismissed." He grumbled.

"Why is it me specifically? I don't remember doing anything to make you hate me so much."

"Leave Diana."

I shook my head and stayed there. He was silent, and so was I. I knew he wouldn't give in, so I sighed deeply and gathered my stuff, walking out calmly. In my car I was able to blast my music quite loudly and it was the only thing that relaxed my nerves, allowing me to go home to a house full of men and not look as uptight as I felt.

It wasn't just my brothers this time, there were many of their friends. It seemed like a party and when I shut the front door they all looked at me awkwardly. I didn't sigh out, although I wanted to because I wasn't happy at all about all their presences. Instead I walked up the stairs and into my room and finished my homework.

The music pounded below me and I knew I wouldn't be able to fall asleep there that night, so I did something that was- once again- out of character.

I called Andy and he was welcoming, very welcoming. I drove over to his apartment with my stuff for the next day and when I got there he had dinner set out. When he opened the door and greeted me I blushed, thinking how it was odd being there again. He was so handsome and happy to see me, it felt wrong. But we both knew nothing would happen, or at least we would try not to let anything happen.

"Hey!" He said kindly when I went in.

"Thanks again for letting me stay." I told him.

"Thanks for coming over. It's been a while since someone other than Toby even bothered."