Fathers

"Toby?" I answered the door in shock, seeing him standing at my doorway and looking uncomfortable.

The chatters of people from behind me were distracting me from proper concentration, and I felt a pang of pain and longing for this guy's brother. I missed him terribly, and I hated that. Especially when I had Charlie.

The house was filled with people. My brothers, my brothers' wives, my brothers' wives' families. James, Tyler, and Charlie. My grandparents. Unknown aunts and uncles. People from my mom's side of the family. Strangers, basically. Cousins. I had so many cousins. Some my age, others younger, others a couple years older. Erin was there. Cole and Connor, too. But Toby stood there right in front of me giving me the perfect excuse to hide away from being a good host to all these people I didn't know. To all these people who felt bad for me, and terrible about themselves.

"Hey." He got out, clearing his throat and peeking behind me in curiosity. "Full house?"

I sighed, widening the door as he entered. "You could say that." I looked up and froze, seeing a familiar and incredibly beautiful- beautiful and sad business man. His eyes were so painful. What hurt was the fact that he stood there, looking tired and worn.

"Andy." I whispered, his eyes staring back into mine.

Toby turned and groaned. "I thought you were gonna stay in the car?"

"You seriously expected me to do that?" Andy snapped. I was scared.

Why I was scared, I have no idea, but I was. It was a feeling of fear from the changed man in front of me, fear from it being my fault, and a sharp reminder that Charlie was just in the kitchen. If he was aware of the fact that this man was here, I didn't know what he'd do. Not that he'd cause a scene or anything, but I was afraid for his temper.

"Well don't just fucking stand there." Toby shot back, making Andy grit his teeth and straighten out his suit, then walk towards me.

When he was in front of me, everything seemed to wash away. His eyes looked suddenly so warm and familiar. It was opposite of Charlie. For Charlie, the cold meanness was once usual.

It was terrifyingly alien coming from Andy.

"I'm so sorry about your dad." He said, standing there. His fingers twitched, and I was expecting him to touch my face. To brush back my hair and invite the butterflies to live in my stomach again. He and I knew it wasn't allowed.

He stepped inside.

Daphne was the first to notice him, Bailey's wife. Her gasp wasn't as quiet as she thought it was, and the same applied to when she whispered Andy's full name in shock. That's when the house went hushed in shock and excitement. I prayed Charlie would leave it alone.

"It's... o-"

"It's not okay, Diana." He let out a sigh, keeping his distance. He was so far, it hurt. But it seemed to hurt him more, and that's why he reached for me and wound his arms tightly in desperation. For a second I didn't care about anything, and held him back, feeling as he breathed me in.

"I'm sorry." I suddenly whispered as we hugged.

"I told you to stop saying that." He sadly reminded me.

I pulled back, feeling all too cold suddenly. His eyes were the saddest I'd ever seen them. "You know you shouldn't be here." I said. His eyes reflected inner agony.

"Excuse me, Andy Carl?" Someone- I think she was my aunt- called in excitement, and he looked to her. She smiled. "I just wanted to say hello."

"What the hell is Andy Carl doing here?" My grandfather's voice sounded from the kitchen, and I painfully followed Toby in the living room after Andy politely greeted and followed as well, and it bothered the hell out of me considering the kitchen and living room were both connected. Charlie's face watched Andy in shock. But it matched everyone else's, so that didn't matter much.