Not Everyone Will Approve

The stupid freaking Career Week was ending and I walked to Mr. Joseph's room for tutoring Friday afternoon. He smiled at me and I returned it, so relieved to know a teacher who likes me and doesn't hate me.

When we got started, I couldn't find it in me to concentrate, and after Mr. Joseph called my name a few more times I looked at him. "I'm sorry," I apologized. "I-"

"What's going on with you, Diana?"

I would be rich if people payed to ask me that.

"Nothing-"

"Please, let me say something first." He began, closing the text book and looking at me in concern. "I know you're not okay. I can tell something has been troubling you, and I want you to know that love takes so much time. I know you don't want to hurt him, either."

I shook my head quickly, a casual fake smile on my face. "No, Andy loves me-"

"My dear, I'm not talking about Andy Carl." He suddenly said, making me stop in confusion.

Then...

"I don't know what you're talking about..." I said cluelessly, secretly hoping I really didn't. I hoped he didn't mean what I thought he meant.

"I'm talking about Charles, Diana."

My entire insides froze.

My heart then thumped in fear after stopping and I knew I probably looked like a little girl, wide-eyed, shocked, and pale. I had no idea what to say and he only rolled his eyes.

"You two really thought I was that oblivious to what was going on?"

He knows. Holy shit, he knows.

I still couldn't find it in me to speak. "That time you two were in tutoring, and I walked in seeing you both so nervous. And him so happy."

That was the time we were kissing in his rolling chair.

"And then asking about New Years." He laughed loudly. "I heard you talking about it as soon as I shut the door." Then his face went a little serious. "And now you're not together anymore." He said, almost asking why.

I sighed, burying my head in hands. Instead of the fear controlling me, I actually felt relief. He was the only person I could talk to about it. And I trusted him so much, knowing that he wouldn't tell a soul. Especially since he hadn't told anyone before.

"I love him." I said with a quiet sigh after removing my hands and looking at him.

He gave me a small smile. "I know, I figured."

I took a deep breath. "He can't love me, Jo."

Mr. Joseph raised an eyebrow and I answered his unasked question, "He doesn't believe in love." I said a little shyly, embarrassed at how immature and inexperienced I sounded.

"I don't understand."

"We were talking about it one night, and I was about to tell him. But then he talked about how his father didn't believe in it, and then he said he didn't either."

"That's why you ended things?"

I gulped. "Not exactly..." I mumbled. "I was kind of... Also seeing Andy at the same time."

Jo didn't gasp; nor did he gawk at me. Instead he gave me the most understanding look I'd ever seen, and it made me so thankful I was talking about it. It was exactly what I needed, and it hurt to keep it all inside.

Mr. Joseph gave me a look, telling me to continue on. "And Andy said he loves me... And..." I went on to explain to him about Claire, and how she was good for him. He just nodded as I spoke, understanding everything and making me feel like I was being assisted in the incline station at the gym, lifting twenty-fives on the guy bar. All that weight was just becoming less and less.