[5]

connor turned over the bread he had in the oven. he leaned his head against his hand, and sighed.

"hi cutie," said sky. "how was your date?"

connor shook his head, sighing. "everyone was right about them, you know. never trust a man in a leather jacket, sky."

"amen to that. got pregnant when i was sixteen by a guy in a leather jacket and piercing green eyes. fuck, he was hot though."

connor just mumbled a 'yeah' before turning over the bread again. skylar went to greet someone who came in.

leaving connor is his thoughts. he understood that he was 'odd.' he was in love with felines and coffee. he took pictures of things and people, and spent hours tweaking the picture so it'll be perfect.

but to this extreme? to have the people who always laughed when he walked past them - to make someone ask him on a date? that was a new low.

okay, so maybe connor shouldn't have been that stupid, too. he practically fawned over the tattooed boy without second guessing his motives.

a cute, blue eyed and soft lips that curve up into a mischief smile that made connor's heart clench, australian boy asking him out? how could he actually believe it.

"hey," said skylar, leaning against the doorframe. "you have classes soon, no? why don't you go ahead while i do the bread."

"it distracts me," said connor. he looked down at his lap, and felt his eyes watered.

if he left the café, he'd have to accept the fact that it happened. that he was the joke of the school, and social media. he was done for. his café. the reputation online that he'd tried so hard to maintain. gone.

"con, c'mon. you can't give those fuckers the pleasure of having you like this. they're the ones who should feel shitty, defined not you."

"they won't," shrugged connor. "they're not going to feel bad. they are sadists."

"then you take away the only thing they thrive off - pain of others. you're the fucking strongest persons i know, okay? you opened a café when everyone said you'll flop.

"you are number twenty-something in the indie realm, and you are fucking successful. you came out to your family when everyone said the obvious. you are unstoppable. don't let a fucking twat steal that from you."

connor laughed, his eyes watering. "you're such a secret sap, sky."

skylar smiled, twin dimples on her cheeks. "it's okay, con. i'll take care of the bread."

connor nodded, still a bit hesitant. but went out of the kitchen. he decided he had enough time to shower, and mix his tears with the cold water.

*

when connor arrived at school, everyone glance at him and whispered. some even asked him how it felt to finally be asked out. or be the laughingstock of 2015.

he did what sky said, and kept his head up. no matter what, he kept his head up. he even laughed along, or smiled. each time his heart breaking.

he finally - thankfully - made it to his class. he sat down in the middle, and took out his notebook.

in his neat calligraphy was the words 'advanced english.'

he opened to his next page, and wrote down the assignment. he wrote slow and neat. making sure to underline and highlight keywords.

"hi con," said someone. he looked up to see one of his good friends dan. dan was a year above him, majoring in psychology and minoring in photography.

"dan, hi." said connor, smiling up at him. dan always had a way to make connor smile, even when he just sat beside him.

maybe it was that he was a year above him, so it made him feel protected. not long after came dan's best friend, phil. he wore his big framed glasses today.

"hello connator." said phil, always using silly nicknames whenever he knew (or thought) connor was upset about something.

in this case he - along with mostly everybody - knew.

"god, no phil." said dan, squeezing the bridge of his nose. "leave now, that's your worse one yet."

"what? i thought it was creative."

"connator is not creative? terminator is disappointed."

"alright." said phil, rolling his eyes. connor smiled at them, married couples now a days, thought connor. of course, he didn't voice this.

dan and phil spoke with eyes. it was like they had a own secret language that no one - maybe not even themselves - could understand.

everyone kept up with them, easily likable. whether they liked them as a couple or just great company to keep around - they brightened up the room.

"so," said dan. "cat out of the bag. you found out the oh-so-perfect boy turned out to be a dick."

"and we have come up with a foolproof plan on how to get them back!" said phil, explosions and everything.

"and by foolproof we mean that not even phil could miss this up." said dan, nodding.

"you're having way too much fun making fun of me today."

dan sighed. "we're the comedy in this sad boys life, phil. please tone down the accusations."

"so," laughed connor. "what's the plan?"

"ah, yes, grasshopper. revenge begins."

"can't we just write them a letter and pretend it never happened?"

"phil, shush.