[29]

connor picked at the egg in front of him. everyone around was chattering about sage's wedding. no one seemed to notice that troye's spot was empty.

"hey," smiled shaun. he looked around and pushed back his glasses. "i'm sure you and me are the least interested in this wedding. will you like to go on a walk with me?"

connor smiled. "yeah, sure." he swallowed down the last of the orange juice and followed shaun outside.

"so you and my son-"

"dad." giggled troye, someone holding him up. "hi daddy, im home,"

shaun nodded. "where were you, troye?"

troye sighed. "i left. im leaving. ronnie here," he tapped ronnie's shoulder. "ronnie is letting me crash until i get to go home."

"what about sage's wedding?" asked shaun.  troye sighed.

"too dull. i want home. im moving again. maybe canada."

"i'll pick you up in thirty." said ronnie, kissing troye's cheek and leaving. troye giggled again and looked up connor.

"hi connor." said troye, smiling at him. "how are you?"

connor looked at shaun, and looked back at troye. "excuse me." he pushed past troye, and continued his walk. he sighed, and looked back. seeing shaun and troye talking.

"hey," said someone. connor looked up and saw ronnie in the car. "listen, mate, i'm not coming back. we-we shouldn't be seen together. i'm not, i'm underage."

connor chuckled, nodding slowly. "i'm sorry to hear that, i honestly don't care. that's none of my business."

ronnie looked around. "look man, i'm wasting my gas here. i know you're connor, he kept talking about you last night. don't listen to him, all we did was talk about you. and some other dude, can't remember his name."

"what did he look like, did he tell you?" asked connor. ronnie shook his head. "oh. well, what did he say?"

ronnie smiled. "he called you the one with the soft eyes and waves for hair."

connor rolled his eyes. "he's an idiot."

"and idiot in love." ronnie added.

"i-i don't think so." said connor, his cheeks burning. "he's just an idiot. some random dude isn't going to make me forgive him."

"i'm no message man. just know that he cares. see you around." connor waved and watched as his care drove away.

"you didn't threaten him, did you?" asked troye.

connor scoffed. "i'd have to care first."

troye stepped closer to connor, looking at him, smiling wide. "and do you?"

"of course not."

troye pouted. "he's kinda cute, no?"

connor shook his head. "you got yourself in trouble, troye."

troye chuckled. "for what? cause he's underage? we didn't have sex. it was just like two friends hanging out, don't lose your mind."

"shut up." said connor. "shut up! i don't care, stop telling me these things." connor sighed, and walked away from troye.

**

connor kicked the pebble, watching as it rippled. he leaned his elbow onto his knees and leaned his chin on his palms. feeling as the water against his legs.

"thought i'd find you here." said troye, sitting on the rock next to him. connor sighed, shaking his head.

"leave me alone, troye." whispered connor.

troye took connor's hand, curling one of his fingers around connor's. "i know you want to be alone. and i know it's selfish of me to ask, but can you keep me company just this once. no questions asked?"

connor looked at him, troye smiled softly. his blue eyes surrounded by light purple bruising. "okay."

troye nodded slowly, and leaned his head on connor's forearm. connor sighed, remembering all the words he told troye. how he didn't want to see him ever, and he meant them. meant the anger and sadness behind them.

but here they were. in the endless cycle of connor letting troye lean on him. he was about to say something when troye let out a small snore. almost swallowed by the sound of the wave against the rocks.

connor covered his mouth with his hand, smiling to himself. "idiot." he whispered. he kissed the top of his mop of wavy hair. and sighed again.