[30]

"get off me." connor started to move his shoulder, an ache coursing through his body. "fuck, your big ass head made my shoulder numb."

troye lifted his head, rubbing his eyes. "how'd my dick get all the way to your shoulder."

connor rolled his eyes. "not that one, stupid. though with the decisions you make, you'd think thats where you were thinking."

"oh, daddy. drag me to hell and back." smiled troye. connor scoffed and started getting up. troye's eyes followed. "where are you going?"

"home." he said, the word numbing his tongue. home was california. "you coming? and no, not like that."

troye looked up at him. maybe it was the fact that connor was tired, maybe it was the moon fucking with connor. but troye's eyes looked sad.

"no thanks. too busy backpacking through aussie." said troye, looking away from connor. "but eat wedding cake for me."

"whatever." mumbled connor as he walked away. he bit his lip, fought everything inside him. everything screaming, burning him. finally, he didn't look back.

**

the memory that he was the last one to see troye lingered with him. it was the soreness of his shoulder that reminded him.

it was two weeks since troye came home. occasionally he'd call his mom and check up on things. but it was like he had left all over again. except connor was living it.

how quiet breakfast was. how lonely it was eating lunch with just steele. and how empty the house felt without troye's wit.

everyone sorta just went about their day separately. only coming together to talk about sage's wedding.

no one talked about it. everyone knew troye was gone. but everyone walked around it. whenever someone mentioned his name, shaun's shoulders would cringe. laurelle's face fell. steele would cough. tyde would smile. sage would leave the room.

"are we," said connor. everyone looked up. he chuckled. "i know it's not my place. but are we going to mourn that troye is gone anytime soon?"

sage sighed. "figures. my wedding is coming up in three days and he's the topic of discussion."

connor smiles patiently. "i just think we should talk about it. so we can move on."

"i think he's a dick for leaving again. and a selfish asshole for not saying good bye." said tyde.

"i'd say language," chuckled shaun. "but i agree. he is a dick and an asshole."

laurelle sighed softly. "i think this goes deeper than what we know. but thank you, connor. you have definitely grown apart of this family."

connor blushed. "thank you."

"a part of us and the drama surrounding us." joked steele.

everyone laughed for the first time in weeks.

connor felt his phone vibrate. he slipped it out of his pocket and read the message.

unknown number: thank you for keeping my family together.