[38]

connor leaned his cheek against his arm. he was in the worst mood possible. it was probably the hottest temperature he has ever had since he came here, and the suit was absolutely too tight on him. not only that, but sage was in full bridezilla mode.

"that wasn't the color i wanted." sage said through her teeth. connor looked away from the bride, and found tyde talking to someone. he smiled, and tilted his head, wondering what they were talking about.

someone tapped his shoulder, and he turned to see laurelle. he took off his headphones, and hummed. "did you need something?" asked connor.

laurelle smiled, and shook her head. "i don't think we've chat much, connor." she said, sitting beside connor. "how are you, honey?"

connor smiled, nodding his head. "i'm alright, kinda chaffing, if i'm honest. the suit was a little tighter than i thought, i might've eaten too much last night." he said, chuckling softly.

she smiled. "i'm sorry about that, we have enough days for finding you another suit, if you wish. i-uh, i guess i just want to know if you've talked with troye? i, i haven't mentioned it much. i don't think any of us have, but i miss his presence. i thought i had him back."

connor nodded. "i understand. we have, yeah. we've talked. i'm still trying to convince him to come to sage's wedding, but his so stubborn." smiled connor. "you'd know more than i do."

laurelle nodded, looking at tyde. "i'm glad, i'm glad he's okay. when he left, i was so angry that i didn't call him. he didn't call, but there's a part of me that says that i should've. he's my son, after all. how could i be so naive?"

"i think you're all amazing people." said connor, patting her arm. he smiled at her. "you're all definitely my australian family."

she laughed, grabbing one of the napkins to dry her tears. "and you're definitely my favorite person my son has brought over. he once brought over a girl, and fuck, excuse me, but she was horrible."

connor smiled. "he's amazing once you get past the hard stuff." he said, his heart tightening. she smiled, lost in thought. "i'm sorry laurelle."

"for what, babes? it's none of your fault. if anything, it's ours. shaun and i. we should've, we should've known that this was his cry for help. how could a mother be so blind?" she said.

connor furrowed his eyebrows. "what is?" he asked.

she looked up at him. "for making him feel like he wasn't safe with us. when he-"

"mom!" squealed sage. "i am this close to fucking losing it!" she screamed, she glared at connor. "family meeting?"

connor looked down. "okay, sorry. i'll leave." he said, getting his phone and leaving them. he walked to the field, and put on his earphones.

he saw sage's fiancee sitting in a bench. connor smiled. "hiding from bridezilla too?" asked connor. joe smiled, and nodded.

"just a bit. she yelled at me because i pronounced fondue wrong." he said, shaking his head.

"it's fon-do." said connor. "isn't it?"

he shook his head. "definitely not. it's fon-due, according to the princess."

connor smiled, sitting besides joe. "sounds rough, man." said connor. joe laughed, nodding his head. "are you aware of the troye situation?"

joe nodded. "she's been crying for a while now. she thinks he hates her." he said. he shook his head. "it makes me so fucking angry at him. really? you suddenly have this 'trip' to go to? when your family, your boyfriend is waiting for you?"

connor blushed. "how did you know we're dating?" asked connor.

joe chuckled. "really? nothing is a secret with sage. i also couldn't notice the tint of red that appears on your cheeks whenever someone mentions him?"

"i didn't think it was obvious." said connor, touching his cheeks. "it's a good thing we can see your love for sage then."

joe smiled, nodding his head. "i'm going for a drink, do you want to come?"

connor shook his head, looking up at him. "you're still having your bachelors party?"

"nah. thought i might just go to some dude spa or something. those exist don't they?" he laughed. connor shrugged.

"fuck gender norms, no?" asked connor.

joe smiled. "see you around then, connor."

connor nodded, watching him leave. connor felt his phone buzz.

troye: arrived at the airport.

troye: i love you.