[9]

connor watched as troye glanced over to his kitchen. he cleared his throat.

"i was, uh, paid." he said, scratching his head. "look, i don't really know you, i'm new to town and i was told that if i asked you out on a date they'll pay me fifty bucks."

connor's mouth opened a bit, his eyes watering again. "i'm a fifty buck date, why? why do they hate me so much?"

troye shifted in his seat. "listen, connor, like i said, i don't really know you. i needed a quick buck so i did it. i am sorry, believe me."

he looked down at the nice rug across from him, trying his best not to cry. troye's mom, laurelle, came back.

"alright, my loves. i don't have anything but cookies. so, connor, tell me about yourself?"

connor looked up at her, his eyes misty. he forced a smile. "uh, i have a café not to far from here. and i'm study in the media arts. mm, i love photography and cats?"

laurelle smiled, nodding. "oh, i love cats! tokky, sorry, troye went to a cat café once. it was beautiful and cozy."

"really? i heard of that but my friend skylar swore it was just talk." said connor.

troye looked at his mom. "mum, maybe he should go back. he seems tired."

"let the boy speak for himself, troye. are you tired, love?"

connor nodded. "i just want to get some air, that's all."

laurelle put a hand on his knee. "lovely, i know we just met, but know that this home will gladly open it's doors to you, okay, connor? will you be back for sage's wedding?"

"sage?" asked connor.

"mum, i'm not sure who you think connor is to me, but we're not dating." said troye, shaking his head. "he's barely a friend."

"tokky! don't be so rude, my gosh. i'm sorry for my sons manners."

"i'm kinda used to it." mumbled connor. which went unnoticed by laurelle.

"i'm sorry, mum. but no he won't be joining us for sage's wedding. it's family not barely knowing each other."

"connor, have you ever been to sydney?" asked laurelle, smiling at him.

"uh, no. not really." said connor, sipping his tea.

"mum, what are you doing?"

"would you like to come with us?" asked laurelle, ignoring her son. "i know it's short time, but my older son won't be able to make so we have one ticket."

"oh, no i couldn't!" said connor, shaking his head. "and i have my café and classes."

"see! he can't go."

"tokky, shut up, will you?" asked laurelle, shaking her head. "look, you're welcomed, i promise. we leave next saturday at eight in the morning."

**

"wait, what!" said skylar, putting up her apron. "she asked you to her daughters wedding?"

connor shrugged. "he literally looked mortified. maybe i should go just to spite him."

"do you really want to live your life spiting him, con? c'mon, think a little. take up the offer, spread the word of your café and fucking enjoy australia!"

he bit his lip. "i guess you're right."

she smiled. "and for your café, no worries, babe. i got it."

connor hesitated. he loved and trusted skylar, but she had a tendency of leaving the shop opened sometimes.

"i'll call dan and phil to help, yeah?"

skylar scrunched up her nose. "not quite fond of them, but alright. whatever makes you feel better."

so that was it, thought connor. he'd put his weeks off from school and everything is set for him to leave.

he gulped. send help, thought connor as he got up to pack.