[16]

"i think its a nice day outside," said tyde, smiling at connor. "don't you think, con?"

connor moved the little balls of his bubble tea around. "i don't know why don't you ask troye?"

"oh, do ask me," said troye, pushing his sunglasses up on his face. he smiled at tyde. "we should get the gang all together, ty, it'll be sick. have a cool pool party!"

connor rolled his eyes behind the sunglasses. he was fed up with troye. first, he shows up to his room when he tries to get ready. second, he storms off when connor mentions breakfast with tyde. and third, he joins them after a fit about 'quality time with my bro.'

"i doubt steele will ever let us, you know how grownup he gets when mum and pa are away."

connor smiled, looking at tyde. ever since he met tyde, connor knew he'd like him. he was so unique, and easily liked. he said random words that didn't go together, but when he said them — it worked.

troye puffed out his cheeks, looking out at the distance. "bloody hell, mate. i reckon we blow this beef stick and have a party at one of your friends house."

connor furrowed his eyebrows, happy he was invisible in this conversation. even if he was australian, bloody hell, mate, reckon? really?

"my friends?" said tyde, pointing to himself. "why don't you ask one of your mates? all of mine are underage."

connor saw as troye's smile fell a bit. he then smiled wider, faker and nodded. "i'll ask around then."

connor took a sip, troye's eyes immediately looking at him do so. connor frowned. "can you not look at me while i sip some tea?"

"can you not do it so obscenely?"

"im just drinking tea!"

"of course you are." scoffed troye.

connor shook his head. "you're the one watching me, tyde isn't complaining!"

"not really," shrugged tyde. "i drink like that too." to prove his point, he took a sip of his tea.

"he's obviously enjoying it as much as you!" said troye.

"what are you going on about!" said connor.

troye rolled his eyes. "whatever, let's go walk around and get tyde laid."

**

connor hugged himself as he watched troye pick out a new shirt. they had found a small thrift store in the corner. and troye convinced tyde that his shirt was 'a shirt that only virgins would wear.'

"you need to be nicer to your brother," said connor. troye kept his eyes on the shirts he pushed aside.

"you need to mind your business," said troye. he picked one off the rack and hummed. "besides, i'm nice to him. i'm here helping him shop, no?"

connor shook his head and drifted to the books. he picked one up, then put it back down.

"please tell me you're not here just to look interesting."

connor looked up and saw a boy with blue-green eyes. connor smiled, and nodded slowly.

"no, i love buying books from thrift stores." said connor, picking up a book.

the boy smiled, and raised his eyebrows. "i'm joey, you are?"

"connor."

joey smiled, and picked up two books. "nice to meet you, connor. are you he–"

"what's going on?" asked troye. connor looked up at him. "thought we were shopping together?"

joey looked at connor. "troye, hi."

troye's eyes kept on connor. "well?"

he opened his mouth but no words came out. just his mind. who did he think he was? shopping together? why couldn't he just leave him alone?

"sorry," said connor. troye raised his eyebrows.

"c'mon then, tyde wants to show us his shirt." troye held out his hand. connor glanced at it, then joey, then troye. "hurry up, con, we need to go home soon."

"ill see you around." said joey as connor grabbed troye's hand and was pulled away from the books.

"so damn horny, aren't you?" said troye, shaking his head. connor felt his cheeks burn, staring at their hands.

"i-i was looking for books." mumbled connor. why the hell was he so shy?

they arrived at the dressing rooms, and troye knocked on one of them.

"ty-ty, i finally found him. show us." said troye, stepping back, hands still twined.

tyde opened the door, and showed them a neon shirt. "well?"

connor glanced at troye, who was furrowing his eyebrows. "well if you wanted to look like a big fucking traffic cone, you succeeded."

tyde, being the light spirit he was, laughed at that. his eyes crinkling a bit. "thanks bro, con?"

troye looked at him, a small smile on his face. connor looked at troye, and looked away. his cheeks burning.

"i like it."

"don't fucking lie to him, you look ridiculous, tyde."

"don't listen to him, buy it if you like it."

tyde smiled and nodded. "okay, i'll change out of it."

the door closed, and troye leaned his head on one of the racks. connor glanced at their hands again, still twined.