[7]

"is he still there?" asked connor once skylar came back to grab the next meal. she gave him a sympathetic look. "ugh, why won't he go away?"

"he probably just wants another reaction from you," shrugged skylar. "just go out there and put your head up."

connor quickly debated this. "you're right, i-i shouldn't be hiding out. it's my café."

he took a deep breath. he grabbed his notepad and went to take orders.

"hi, hello?" said the accent. connor ignored it. "yeah, i've been waiting for half an hour."

the lady looked up at him. "oh, i'm quite alright, why don't you go attend that young man?"

connor feigned a smile. "you sure you don't need anything? a new bread, more coffee?"

she shook her head, and smiled. connor sighed, and walked over to troye.

troye smiled, and looked up at him. "oh, hi there. finally, you know this place has horrible service."

"we want to keep this a anti-bullying place, sir. we don't want to give good service to a fucked up person."

"but how do you know, if someone is a bully or not?" he said, leaning onto his hand and raised his eyebrows.

"i don't know them, but i personally know you. so tell me what you want so i can get it and you leave."

"i made you like this, y'know." said troye. "all sassy and quirky. you should thank me."

connor scoffed. "you didn't make me into anything. i've always been like this, just took an asshole like you to make me see i deserve better."

"yeah, you do." he heard him whisper when one of his newest waitress drop something.

"what?" he said, knowing troye won't repeat himself. he mumbled, 'nothing.' "look, i don't have time for this."

"a hazelnut coffee, then. if that's not too much trouble." said troye, leaning back in his seat.

"it actually does, but alright. what size?"

"dick size or coffee size?"

"that was only funny that one time." said connor, though his heart twinge at the thought that he remembered.

"fine, medium. trying to cut back."

"i'd like to cut you." mumbled connor as he scribbled his order down. "anything else?"

troye looked up at him. "yes actually. can i copy your homework?"

connor scoffed, and walked away. he pushed open the door to his backroom and sat down on the bench.

"hazelnut coffee, medium, please."

he held up the paper to skylar, who took it. she laughed. "you wrote a heart by his name."

connor blushed. "d-did not!"

she showed him the paper and blushed deeper. "that's the paper from the first time he came." he took the paper from her and stuffed it into his apron.

she laughed, and went away to do the drink. he looked back out the window, and watched as troye wrote on his notebook. textbook beside it.

how long did he plan on staying?

connor shoved his arm, nothing. he pinched his neck. troye groaned, and smacked connor's thigh.

"ow!" said connor. "i'm just trying to wake you, asshole. i need to close."

troye sat up straight, rubbing his eyes. "d-did i fall asleep? shit, what time is it?" he quickly stood up and started to pack up his things.

"like eleven at night. five until midnight." connor pushed in the chair, and turned back towards troye.

"i-uh, did i pay you?" he searched for his wallet.

"don't worry about it."

he took out his wallet. "how much is it?"

"i said don't worry."

troye frowned. "just fucking tell me."

"fine! it's three dollars even." troye slammed a five dollar bill onto his hand. "thanks."

"don't mention it. bye." said troye, dragging the backpack behind him as he ran.

connor sighed, and went around stacking the chairs. as he was close to the table troye sat in, he heard buzzing.

he looked around the café, until he saw a phone on a chair. he picked it up, an iphone 6, and noticed there were 17 missing calls and 40 unread messages.

he slid down the notifications, curious to see the wallpaper, and felt his heart pound faster.

the wallpaper was troye holding a baby, his soft smile looking down at the baby. his eyes cringed up in an adorable matter.

"fucker," whispered connor, endeared by the picture. "why'd you have to come into my life?"

he pocketed the phone, and continued to stack the chairs. he heard thunder in the distance as he locked the café. he looked out at the clouds.

"wait!"

he looked around and saw troye running towards him. he stopped in front of him, hands on his knees.

"i-i-i left my phone, please c-can you unlock the door?"

connor raised his eyebrows. "iphone 6?"

"y-yes!"

"plain blue phone case?"

"yes!"

"cute baby that is too innocent to be related to you as your wallpaper?"

troye laughed, and looked up at connor. "because it's not related to me. my best friend's. she made me the godfather."

"little too young, aren't you?"

troye smiled, standing up straight. "no, not at all. i think i'm a great grandfather."

"sounds grand, pops. here - take your phone and leave already." said connor, excluding the thought of troye as a father.

"thank you." he said, tapping in his password and doing who knows what. "listen, i have to go across town. is there anyway you could drive me?"

connor blinked. "you're kidding right?"

"what?"

"i hate you, troye sivan. why the hell would i help you?"