Chapter Twenty: History Repeating Part III

"Bonnie!" Elena and Holly were running through the woods. They could barely hear Bonnie's voice, it seemed that she was arguing with Damon and Stefan was trying to calm them both down. "Bonnie!"

"-things are different now." Bonnie was saying in the same monotype voice. She was standing inside a pentagon that she had carved in the dirt, holding a crystal. Holly saw that Damon had that desperate look in his eyes and Stefan was trying to calm him down.

"Please," Damon's voice was close to begging. "Please don't do this."

"I can't free them! I won't, Incendia!" Bonnie threw the crystal to the sky and it exploded. Fire began sprouting around the pentagon destroying the crystal with it. Holly saw the way that Damon was looking at Bonnie with anger. Familiar anger that usually resulted in someone's death.

Without thinking, Holly raced towards Bonnie ignoring Elena's screams. She placed herself in front of her friend before Damon could pounced on her and when he did, Holly felt a stabbing pain in her stomach and blood poured out of her mouth.

She coughed as the red liquid began to fall on the grass and over her clothes. She managed to look down and saw that Damon's hand had crossed through her stomach and that her clothes were covered in blood as well.

She managed to raise her glance at him. "Why?"

Damon stood frozen as he saw his hand still sticking out of Holly's stomach. He slowly pulled it out and Holly fell to the floor, still coughing up blood her entire body trembling.

"Holly!" Bonnie who had finally broken out of Emily's spell looked in horror at her friend. She eyed Damon with frightened eyes. "Just what are you?"

Damon didn't respond, he was still staring at the way that Holly was trembling with pain. She was dying. He hadn't meant to do it. He had been going after the witch. Why had she stood in the way?

"Holly," Elena kneeled besides her sister, trying her best to clean up the blood. "Oh, god Holly." She glared at Damon. "Leave! I never want to see you again! Stay away from my sister."

Stefan gripped Elena's shoulder. "Elena, calm down-"

"No, Stefan I am not going to calm down," Elena snapped. "Everything bad that has occurred in this town is because of him and I don't want Holly suffering because of him. Stefan, Holly is dying-"

Stefan turned away his attention away from Damon and focused on Holly. Holly's pulse was weak, but she was still alive. "I can save her." Stefan bit into his wrist and managed to force feed Holly some of his blood.

Vampire blood tasted weird in Holly's mouth, but she had to admit that it was working. The pain was slowly leaving her. Her brown eyes never left Damon's. He was standing like a statue and it didn't take a genius to figure out that he felt guilty. Holly saw that he turned around and walked away leaving her with Bonnie, Elena, and Stefan.

"I'm fine." Holly managed to say as Stefan removed his arm from her mouth. "It's just a little blood."

"That's a bit of an understatement." Stefan said, a slight smile twitching. He turned around and noticed that Bonnie looked frightened. "Bonnie-"

"Just who are you?" Bonnie asked. "Or what are you?"

Stefan turned to Elena. "Perhaps you should take Bonnie home and explain . . . I'll take care of Holly."

Elena nodded as she pulled Bonnie's arm. "Come on."

"What is going on Elena?" Bonnie asked once they headed towards Elena's car. "Why did Stefan feed Holly his blood? How did Damon even know Emily?"

"Oh, Bonnie." Elena looked at Bonnie with pity. "Witches and spirits aren't the only things we should be afraid of."

"Stefan, I'm fine," Holly insisted as she pulled up the zipper from her jacket so that Aunt Jenna wouldn't see the bloodstains on her clothes. "You don't have to walk me all the way back home."

The vampire blood had did the trick and Holly was feeling almost normal, though still a little wobbly. But she knew that the blood would be out of her system by tomorrow and that she will remain a witch.

Stefan smiled as they paused at the doorway. "Holly . . . about Damon-"

"You don't have to apologize," Holly interrupted. "You weren't the one who stabbed his fist into my stomach. Why was he so upset anyway?"

"Emily destroyed the crystal, it was the only way to get Katherine out of the tomb." Stefan explained. "It got Damon mad enough that we wanted to kill Bonnie, but since you placed yourself in front of her to protect her, you ended up getting hurt."

"So Katherine, the girl he-both of you loved is still in the tomb?" Holly prompted.

Stefan shrugged. "I don't know if ever really loved her. Katherine compelled my love, but Damon . . . but Damon really loved her. He had loved her for the last 143 years."

Holly sighed. "Is it bad that I'm feeling slightly bad for him?"

Stefan grimaced. "Probably since he almost ended up killing you." He saw the light in Elena's room. "Elena is probably still giving Bonnie the news. Can you say goodbye to her for me?"

"You're leaving?"

"It's not safe for her. I'm not safe for you or for Elena, Holly." Stefan told her.

Holly placed a hand of Stefan's shoulder. "Just because you've made a few mistakes in the past doesn't mean that you're a bad person, Stefan."

Holly felt refreshed after a hot shower and really she just wanted to crawl into bed and go to sleep, but she realize that, that wouldn't be possible when she opened her bedroom door and saw Damon sitting by the window.

Seeing him made Holly slightly jump back.

"W-What are you doing here?" she asked.

Damon looked up at her. "So it took a murder attempt to slightly be afraid of me."

Holly flinched.

Damon winced. "Sorry, but I wasn't going for you. I was going after the Bennett witch, it's not my fault that you stupidly placed yourself in the way."

Holly crossed her arms across her chest, feeling her old confidence returning. "I'm sorry, should I have just stayed back and let you kill my best friend?"

"Yes." Damon rolled his eyes as he looked at her stomach.

Holly pulled up her tank top slightly so that he could see her stomach. "See, not even a scratch."

"Good." He paused. "I'm sorry . . . I didn't mean to hurt you."

Holly softened. "I know you didn't. Damon, I'm sorry too . . . about Katherine. I know you loved her."

Damon's eyes darkened with hurt and Holly could see that he had really loved her. "I did-I do, but now I may not be able to get her back." Damon tucked back her dark hair behind her ear and faced her, his blue eyes never leaving her brown ones. "Sleep well, Holly."