Chapter 50: Bad Moon Rising

"Are you sure that you're going to be ok with Damon?" Holly asked Elena as she sat at the foot of Elena's bed. The two sisters still weren't acting like they used to, but at least Elena looked at her now without fear.

Elena nodded. She, Ric, and Damon were going up to Duke where Isobel once worked to look at all her research. They wanted to look up information about wolves in Mystic Falls, more importantly the Lockwood family. Holly had been the one that was going to go, but she was still mad at Damon for trying to kill Caroline and she had promised Stefan that she was going to help him with Caroline today.

"I can handle Damon, besides Ric will be there." Elena said. "And it's only for a day, besides Stefan needs your help you're the only one that really knows Caroline."

"Yeah, I don't think that, that's going to make it any easier." She admitted as she looked at her new daylight ring. "But it's worth a shot. Good luck today. You're going to need it."

"You too."

"You mean I don't get to choose the ring I'm going to wear for the rest of my life?" Caroline wrinkled her nose as she looked at the simple silver ring on her bed. Holly, Stefan, and Bonnie were in Caroline's room the curtains were drawn because Caroline burned in the sun.

Bonnie shrugged. "If you don't want it-"

"She wants it," Holly interrupted. "Caroline, if you don't have it you can't walk around in the sun, you'll burn and then die."

Caroline flinched. "Fine. Now what?"

"Now is where I explain the rules." Bonnie said firmly. "You're a vampire now, which means the urge to kill is in your nature, the minute you let that part of you take over I'm going to destroy the ring."

Holly raised an eyebrow. "Bonnie, isn't that a little harsh?"

Bonnie sighed. "I can't ignore what happened, you've all killed are you are all going to kill and I can't let that happen. So put the ring on the bed." Caroline did as she was told and Bonnie started murmuring a few spells. "Done."

Caroline looked confused as she slipped the ring back on her finger. "That's it? Have you ever even done this before?"

"Caroline." Stefan said in a warning tone.

"I just want to make sure that it worked." Bonnie pulled the curtain open and she flinched.

"It worked."

"What if it hadn't Bonnie?" she hollered.

Bonnie sighed as she looked at Stefan and Holly. "She's all yours."

"So what do I do when I see the rabbit?" Caroline questioned as Holly and Stefan walked her through the woods. Unlike Damon, Stefan thought it would be better if they started with animals.

"Chase it, catch it, and feed on it." Stefan explained.

Caroline cocked an eyebrow. "Isn't killing poor defenseless animals the first signs of a serial killer?"

"Stefan shouldn't we practice on humans?" Holly suggested. "Or on blood bags won't that make things easier for her?"

"No, she needs to have self-control first." Stefan insisted. "Caroline if you're not serious about this tell me."

"No, no I am." Caroline said. "But it's just I haven't been out for days and everyone is at the swimming hole and Matt is there, and you want me to eat bunnies so I'm kind of freaking out."

Holly bit her lip to keep from laughing at Caroline's rambling, Stefan however couldn't contain his laugh.

"And now you're laughing at me."

"No," Stefan insisted. "No, I'm not it's just when you become a vampire all of your behaviors are magnified."

Caroline sighed. "So you're basically telling me I'm a neurotic, over control freak on crack."

"No, not like that your just get a little overexcited." Holly said lamely. "Hey how about we hunt for a little bit and then we'll go to the swimming hole and you can see Matt, I haven't gone to a party in ages."

"Sounds like a plan." Stefan said. "Caroline?"

Caroline smiled. "Ok."

"What do you mean that you're starting to get the dreams again?" Stefan asked Holly. They were both standing with their backs pressed against the truck. They had successfully after much coaxing helped Caroline hunt a rabbit and a deer and now they were at the watering hole seeing her trying to control her jealousy issues around Matt and Amber Bradley. "I though the witches would stop communicating through you once you became a vampire."

"That's what I thought too." Holly shrugged. "But they keep coming, most of them during the night."

"What was the last dream that you had?" Stefan prompted. "Maybe it was a code or something."

Holly scoffed. "I doubt it, I was just surrounded by graves, and some of the people I didn't know and someone of them I did. Was Katherine a witch?"

Stefan shook his head. "Not that I know off, but I don't know much about Katherine's human life."

"So how is it going with Mason?" Holly asked. "Is he really a werewolf? Is Tyler one too?"

"Mason, yes we're pretty sure." Stefan said. "As for Tyler, I don't think so the werewolf gene needs to be triggered."

"What is Mason doing here though? He hadn't come here for ages."

"That's what I would like to know." Stefan's cell phone rang with a message from Elena it said, werewolf bites can kill vampires, and tonight is the full moon be careful.

Both Holly and Stefan raised their heads. "Caroline."

But Caroline was nowhere to be seen.

Caroline and Matt were kissing against a tree when Matt suddenly winced in pain. Caroline looked up. "What's wrong?"

"I'm a klutz." Matt grinned. "It's just a cut, don't worry."

Caroline's eyes however focused on the blood on his wrist. Her eyes widened as she sunk her fangs into his wrist, ignoring Matt's cries.

"Caroline, stop!" Holly shouted as she pulled Caroline away from Matt. Matt fainted.

Caroline's eyes filled with tears. "Oh my god." She whimpered. "I killed him."

"No," Holly said. "You didn't kill him, it's going to be ok, Care."

"Listen we need to get out of these woods now." Stefan ordered as they started hearing small, crunching sounds. "Care, Holly get Matt we need to leave now."

"What is it?" Caroline whispered.

Holly dropped Matt's arm over her shoulder. "A werewolf." They started running until they reached the old ruins. "He will try to kill us and he can."

"Hey, what are you guys doing!?" Tyler demanded.

"What are you doing?" Stefan asked.

Suddenly a large werewolf appeared and pounced on Caroline, knocking her to the ground. Caroline screamed. Stefan rapidly pushed the wolf away from her.

"No!" Tyler shouted. The wolf looked at him and disappeared into the woods.

Caroline sighed as she walked into her bedroom, she had, had a long day. She had learned to hunt, they had been attacked by wolves, and Holly had taught her how to compel promising her that it would get easier.

She saw that someone was in her room. "Elena?"

"No." Katherine said. "Try again."

Caroline paled. "Katherine."

"Don't be frightened." She smirked. "We're going to have so much fun together."