Chapter 48: Brave New World Part I

Holly knew that Bonnie would be upset that she became a vampire. She didn't think she would be pissed. She had come to make Holly a daylight ring, but she had barely looked at Holly twice ever since she came towards her bedroom and the curtains were still closed.

Holly knew that Bonnie despised vampires, especially after her Grams death, but come one she was her friend it wasn't like she was going to kill people for fun. Her mood wasn't the best either, she was still pissed about Damon breaking Jeremy's neck because Katherine had gotten under his skin and she had a sleepless night because of that new dream.

They were supposed to stop, she reminded herself. The minute she became a vampire she had become exile in the witch community, she had even tried doing magic again, but nothing. Only those dreams. She had tried asking Bonnie, but the witch wouldn't even look at her.

"Done." Bonnie said as she handed her a silver ring with a turquoise stone.

Holly picked up the ring and put it on her index finger, she opened the curtains, wincing in anticipation, but she was glad when she felt the hot sun instead. "It worked!"

"Of course it worked." Bonnie said hastily as she picked up her bag. "Well, see you-"

"Bonnie wait." Holly said. "What's going on? You've barely said two words since you came here."

"Things are different now, Holly." Bonnie said, avoiding her eyes. "You're a vampire now."

Holly narrowed her eyes and she could feel her impatience growing. "So what? Are you saying that we can't be friends anymore?"

"It's not that," Bonnie said quickly. "Holly, things are different now. Vampires have ruined my life, my whole ancestry line-"

"Oh, just because I'm a vampire now, I'm not worth being your friend?" she hissed, her mood swings getting the best of her. "Well, guess what I didn't ask for this!"

"I know you didn't, Holly." Bonnie said. "But it's the fact now, you can't change it, you're a vampire now, you're eventually going to kill and you can't expect me to be ok with that." She closed the door and Holly gave a sigh.

Stefan stepped into the room and saw Holly's upset expression. "Hey, you ok?"

"No." she shook her head. "I was such a bitch to her, I feel terrible I just feel that my emotions are jumping all over the place."

"It's understandable." Stefan said lightly. "Your emotions are heighten right now, it's going to take a while to get them in control."

"How much longer?" Holly asked impatiently.

"I don't know."

"How is she?" Elena asked Stefan once he reached the bottom of the stairs. "I talked to Bonnie, she was upset."

"Yeah, well Holly is pretty upset too." Stefan responded as he crossed his arms over his chest. "It's not easy for either of them, Holly's emotions are over the place, it's going to take her some time to get used to being a vampire, but at least she has a daylight ring now. She can learn to hunt."

Elena nodded.

"Why don't you go talk to her?" Stefan suggested as he pulled back a piece of dark hair. "She needs someone to talk to right now."

"I can't talk to her, Stefan." Elena admitted. "I don't know how. All my life Holly has been my twin, our entire family was vampire hunters, and I was just getting used to the fact that she was a witch, with her now being a vampire . . . it's just overwhelming. I can't see Holly as a vampire."

"You know the glaring at me it's getting really old." Damon noted as he and Holly walked through the woods in Mystic Falls. Elena and Stefan were decorating for the school carnival so unfortunately the one who was going to teach Holly how to hunt was going to be Damon.

Holly wasn't looking forward to it either. "You killed my brother." She said sharply. "You're lucky all I'm doing is glaring at you."

"Oh, scary and I said I was sorry stop being such a Drama Queen." He stopped short, "Speaking of which, what are we doing here? You wanted me to teach you how to hunt."

"No, I told you, you were my only option." She clarified. "And you're are going to teach me, we're going to hunt animals."

Damon groaned. "The bunny diet? Come on, Holly even you're better than that, trust me you're not going to get your fill on Bambi."

"I can handle it. I just don't want to hurt people."

"It's not if you can handle it," Damon said wearily. "Not only is deer blood disgusting but it won't make you as strong and second of all you need to learn how to drink blood from the vein and control it, unless you want to end up like another Stefan."

Holly looked uncertain, after a while she said. "Fine, but only if you teach me how to compel people."

Damon smirked. "Deal."

"Here, we go lunch." Damon rubbed his hands together as a perky blond exited the car.

Holly's stomach felt queasy. "Can you please not call her that?"

"Fine dinner, whatever watch and learn." He approached the blond and faced her. "Don't scream, you're not going to remember anything."

The blond nodded. Damon sunk his fangs into her wrist and after a few minutes he pulled back and looked at her again. "Go back home, you fell end of story."

"That seems easy."

"It is easy." Damon clarified. "Now pick one."

Holly overlooked the parking lot and noticed a small, dark hair girl. "That one."

"Excellent choice. Go forth."

Holly approached the girl and tried to keep her voice from trembling. "This won't hurt, don't move and don't scream, please." She sunk her fangs into the girl's neck and was instantly greeted with an excellent, warm sensation

"That's enough, you don't want to bleed her dry." Damon pulled her back.

Annoyed, Holly looked back at the girl. "Go home, don't remember any of this."

"How was that?" Holly asked eagerly. "Can we do it again?"

"Maybe some other day you have that crazy look in your eye." Damon said, "Besides don't you have to go make yourself pretty for the school carnival tonight."

"I'm not going." She admitted.

"Why not?"

"Because I don't think I'm exactly welcome." Holly said. "Bonnie and Elena have basically expelled me ever since I became a vampire and I don't think I can stand another pity look."

"Well, that's too bad because I'm going."

"Why are you going?"

"To check out Mason Lockwood."

"Tyler's uncle?" she frowned. "Why?"

"There's something fishy about him." He cocked an eyebrow. "What do you say? Want to be my date?"