Chapter 49: Brave New World Part II

"I changed my mind, I'm not going." Holly said and she practically glued herself to her seat. Holly had felt her confidence diminish when Damon parked in front of the school carnival. She didn't think she could take another night in exile.

"Why the hell not?" Damon demanded. "You were going to be my date while we figure out if Mason Lockwood is a werewolf or not."

"Seeing that I can die of a werewolf bite, I'm not sure that's the best idea." Holly said. "But you go, I'll be fine."

"By yourself?"

"Hey, I'm a vampire I have nothing to be afraid of." She forced a smile. "Seriously, go."

After a while Damon got out of the car. "Fine, be stubborn and dramatic."

Damon was feeling pretty satisfied with himself, he had forced Holly out of her pity party (she had stayed in the car, but whatever), he was pretty sure that Mason was a werewolf, and now he was going to prove it when he broke Tyler away from a "fight." Compulsion really was beautiful.

He heard the clicking of heels. He turned around and saw Caroline. "Hey, Blondie they let you out?"

"I remember." Caroline said.

"What do you remember?"

"I remember that you pushed me around, fed on me, and abused me." Caroline said coldly. "And erased my memories."

Damon shook his head. "That's impossible, I compelled you unless-"

Caroline smiled. "I have a message from, Katherine 'Game on.'"

"Wait-"Damon tried to grab her arm, but Caroline pushed him to the ground.

"You suck."

Holly was bored and sad, but mostly bored. She should have just stayed home, she exited the car and leaned back against the wall and pulled out a cigarette and lighter from her jacket pocket. There was no point in quitting now, it wasn't like she could die.

"Hey, can I have one?" A blond guy asked her.

"Sure," Holly offered him one, but she could feel her veins stiffening and her tongue becoming dry as she stared at the guy's pulsing veins. Veins that were pumping blood.

He frowned. "You ok?"

"Yeah." Holly nodded, she could do this. Damon had taught her to. "Don't move, don't yell I won't hurt you." She said compelling him.

"You won't hurt me."

Holly nodded as she sunk her fangs into the guy's throat, drinking as much as she could. It was like drinking water after being stuck in the desert, so wonderful.

"Holly, chill." Damon pulled her back and pinned her against the wall. "You leave." He turned back to her. "What was that?"

"Oh, please like you have room to talk. You do the same thing." she pulled away from him. "I was doing exactly what you told me, snatch, eat, erase."

"I didn't teach you to drink until he was dry." Damon snapped. "Look the council is already nervous enough and you sinking your fangs into everything that moves is not helping."

"Why not?" she said sarcastically. "You do."

"Yeah, but I'm not a vampire who needs an attitude adjustment."

Holly's super hearing picked up something. Someone was crying, Caroline? "Caroline, Caroline is crying? Why is she crying?"

Damon grimaced. "Yeah, about Caroline we need to talk. Something happened to her."

"What?" Holly frowned. "Elena told me that she was fine."

"Not exactly." Damon said. "Katherine killed Caroline, she had my blood in her system and she died. She's a vampire, Holly."

Caroline was hiccupping, her face was covered with blood as the body of a former student stood in front of her. She had killed him. "Oh my god, oh my god what is wrong with him? What did I do?"

Holly and Damon were a few feet away looking at the scene. Holly saw the way that Caroline's face was covered in blood. "You're right."

"Of course I am." Damon said as he pulled out a stake. "Wait here."

Holly gripped his wrist, "You're not going to kill her, Damon!"

"What? I thought she annoyed the hell out of you." Damon snapped. "She's not strong, Holly she'll be dead by tomorrow, let me end her misery right now."

"She's scared. Just like I was scared too." Holly insisted. "And just because Caroline can be a little annoying doesn't mean I want her dead."

Damon shrugged. "I really don't care what you want."

He vamp flashed towards Caroline, but Holly already knowing that he was going to defy her wishes managed to reach Caroline first and pushed her towards the ground away from Damon's stake. "H-Holly." Caroline hiccupped.

"I'm not going to let you kill her!" Holly hissed.

"Your funeral." Damon snarled as he noticed Elena, Stefan, and Bonnie approaching them. "Here you have visitors, since you want to be in control, Holly you can do whatever you want." He let the stake fall on the ground. "Have fun."

Holly helped Caroline up, trying to wipe away the blood. "You're ok, you're going to be ok Care."

"What's wrong with me?" she hiccupped and flinched when she saw Elena. "Get away from me! You did this!"

"No," Elena said quickly. "It wasn't me, it was Katherine she killed you."

"It was Katherine." Holly reassured her. "She looks just like Elena and me."

Caroline continued crying. "Bonnie-"Bonnie shook her head as she left the scene. "Bonnie hates me!"

"She doesn't hate you." Stefan insisted as he grabbed her arm. "You're going to be ok, I'm going to take you home."

"I'll go with you." Holly said. "Can I?"

Stefan looked at Elena who nodded. "I think it's probably for the best."

"Are you ok?" Holly asked as she entered Caroline's room she was dressed in her pajamas. She pulled out a blood bag. "It helps with the cravings."

"Thanks." She took the bag from her and started sipping the blood. "So how long have you've been vampire?"

"Only a few days." Holly told her. "Slow down, it with help control your hunger."

"How were you? I mean how did-"Caroline trailed off.

"Katherine killed me too." Holly said. "I was her grand entrance."

"Well, I was her finale." Caroline choked out. "How do we cure this, there must be a way, I can't be a vampire, Holly! My mother will kill me! She'll hate me."

"She won't," Holly said as she hugged her tightly, knowing all too well what it felt like to be rejected. "She won't hate you. I promised that Stefan and I will help you get through this. We'll get through this together."