43.

Troye.

June 26th, 2015.

I awake and roll over to Connor yelling in happiness. I sit up and get out of bed, walking down the hallway quickly to get to the living room where I assume he is.
When I round the corner, I see the news is on the TV and I read the headline on it. Gay Marriage Legalized in All 50 States in Supreme Court Ruling.

"Tro do you know what this means?" He says and turns to me with tears in his eyes, "I can get married now! Holy fuck!" He says and runs towards me. He engulfs me in a bear hug and I wrap him in my arms as well. He begins to cry and I do too, as I look at the screen I'm facing and President Obama makes a speech about it.

"...In my second inaugural address, I said that if we are truly created equal, then surely the love we commit to one another must be equal as well.  It is gratifying to see that principle enshrined into law by this decision..."

The speech carries on as we sit on the couch holding hands, our eyes glued to the TV as news coverage covers only that. We get texts from our families, from friends, it seems from everyone. At that moment on this day, the United States was completely gay.

My mum FaceTimes us from Perth when they hear the news even though it's midnight there and she begins to run around the house yelling 'Troye's getting married!' at the top of her lungs. Connor's family calls him and we talk to them on the phone as we beam and cry tears of happiness as this monumental day we thought would never happen becomes a reality.

By lunchtime, we're done celebrating with our families and we decide to go out and get sushi from down the street. We step outside of Connor's apartment, our hands linked together, and begin to walk down the street towards the restaurant. As we walk down the street holding hands, people don't stare with a look of disapproval. They look with ones of happiness for us. Except for one person that is.

As I walk down the street holding my beautiful boyfriend's hand, a man walking behind us down the sidewalk glares. He appears to be in his forties and walks next to his wife who is also in her forties. They have strong southern drawls I can hear as they talk quietly amongst themselves.

When we get to the crosswalk, I look over at Connor and kiss him softly on the lips, not caring about PDA. I get butterflies in my stomach whenever I do and they cease to leave even after we kiss. Behind us, the man says something to his wife walking next to him and I glance back at them. I turn away and look back at Connor, holding his hand tighter than before.

"Faggots." He scoffs at us and we turn around to face him.
"And what's that supposed to mean exactly?" Connor asks, going for the 'playing dumb' act.
"It means that you're a sinner. You're disgusting. You're going to hell." He barks at us and that's when I draw the line.
"We're legal to get married now so shut the fuck up." I say and kiss Connor again, just to make the guy angry.

"Just because you're kind is legal doesn't mean you can kiss each other in public." He says and I look back at him once we separate our lips.
"Just because you're opinion is that of an idiot doesn't mean we're going to listen to it." I snap back at him and turn away to walk across the street. The man behind us follows us and when we get across he calls us faggots again, earning a middle finger from both of us in unison.

"That guy can go fuck himself." Connor says under his breath and I laugh at it.
"Babe. You're adorable when you're angry." I say and he breathes out, smiling and forgetting that guy's comments. No matter what happens, no matter what rights we gain, there will always be ignorant people and hateful people in this world.

We walk into the restaurant and get seated quickly. Connor and I sit across from each other in the booth holding hands across the table while we browse the menu.
"Ooh I think I'm going to get the California rolls with Sriracha, mango, and avocado." Connor says and I look at the menu further.

"I'm getting the tiger rolls." I exclaim and the waitress walks over and takes our drink orders. When she brings them we order our food and go back to talking.
"Hey Tro?" Connor asks and I look up at him.
"Yeah Con?" He takes a deep breath.
"When your mom was running through your house saying you were getting married I assume she meant us getting married someday." He trails the thought off and I bite my lip.

"There's no way telling if we'll get married or not. But if we do, if we make it to that, I will have anything I ever had hoped to have," I tell him and he beams,"Just give it time, Connor. Maybe someday." I grab his hand and hold it tightly across the table as he talks about a photoshoot he just did downtown.

"Connor can I ask you something?" I say and my voice shakes.
"Of course. What's up babe?" He has a concerned look on his face and I smile as I ask him the next question.
"When does the lease on your apartment expire?"

//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\
Would you guys be interested if I did a longer version of the journal thing from last chapter in my Oneshot book? Maybe write out a few entries? Lemme know!
Xx,
Madi