Part 1

All of Hogwarts' professors were gathered in Dumbledore's office at his request; some stood, some sat, some chatted, and others, like Severus Snape, were silent. All were waiting for Dumbledore to tell them what was so urgent. He was currently speaking quietly with Minerva McGonagall on the far side of his office. McGonagall listened intently, as if to instruction, then nodded her head. Dumbledore immediately turned to face the little congregation. "Thank you all for coming. This will only take a moment of your time. It has been brought to my attention that a certain young lady has been overlooked by us, and is in need of proper magical instruction."

"That's not possible, Albus. Magical children never go unnoticed by Hogwarts. The Magical Quill detects them at birth," said Filius Flitwick from his cozy overstuffed chair.

"She's a special case, Filius. Apparently her abilities are only just beginning to appear."

"How old is this girl?" asked Pomona Sprout from an identical chair next to Flitwick.

"Twenty-four," replied Dumbledore cheerily, as if there was nothing at all odd about her age. He was answered by a chorus of low groans from the professors.

"Is Hogwarts to play host to imbeciles now, Headmaster?" asked Snape, who was followed up by Flitwick. "She's far too old to attend Hogwarts, Albus. Isn't there an alternative?"

"Technically she will not be a Hogwarts student. I have no intention of sorting her or placing her any classes."

"Well, how do you expect us to teach her anything?" asked Sprout, her brow furrowed in bewilderment.

Dumbledore chose not to answer Sprout directly, opting instead to address everyone. "In light of the young lady's unusual circumstances, I must ask all of you to provide individual tuition." This statement was followed by a louder chorus of groans and some of the professors began to pace in irritation. "I know it is an imposition on all of you, but I ask this as a personal favor to me. This girl is near and dear to my heart. I know that you will all find her as delightful and charming as I do. Thank you."

The small congregation rose and left, grumbling all the way. Snape stayed behind, waiting for everyone to leave before he spoke. "Are you certain that this is a good idea, Headmaster?"

"Absolutely, Severus."

Snape didn't receive the answer he wanted, and so chose another tactic. "Latent magical abilities tend not to develop beyond a modest degree. Are you certain that it's in the girl's best interest to be exposed to the many talented young wizards and witches at Hogwarts?"

"Possibly not, but it will certainly be in our best interests," replied Dumbledore.

"How so, Headmaster?"

"Severus, this girl has managed to keep herself secret from us, and I suspect she's done it for a considerable amount of time. That ability alone may prove very useful to us in the future. Minerva and I are on our way to meet the young lady. We shan't be gone more than a couple of hours--"

"Meet her?" said Snape. "Did you not just say that the girl is dear to you?"

"Well, I have no doubt that she will be." Dumbledore grinned, his eyes dancing. His attire and hair changed in an instant. He now wore a brown tweed suit complete with matching cap and leather patches on his elbows. His hair and beard were short and neatly trimmed. McGonagall drew nearer and Snape could see that she was now wearing a high-necked, white, linen blouse; a long, red, tartan skirt; a red tartan bonnet; and a short, grey, tweed blazer. They looked every bit the well-to-do, conservative, country couple. "How do we look, Severus?" asked Dumbledore, obviously very proud of his fashion sense.